Counting of votes for the four Lok Sabha seats including Kairana in Uttar Pradesh and 10 assembly constituencies across 10 states were concluded on Thursday. The elections here had taken place on 28 May, when the poll process was marred by complaints of EVM malfunctioning.
In Kairana, where the non-BJP parties had fielded a united opposition candidate to take on Mriganga Singh, repolling was held on Wednesday. Repolling was held in five booths of Shamli and 68 booths of Saharanpur, Maharashtra’s Bhandara-Gondia and one polling station in Nagaland.
Chief Election Commissioner OP Rawat had bizarrely blamed the heat for the snag in VVPAT machines adding that there was no problem in the electronic voting machines. “There is no problem with EVMs. Problem was with VVPAT. The VVPATs machines used in these elections are new and used first time,” Rawat was quoted as saying.
“If VVPATs are kept directly under light it creates a problem,” Rawat had added.
Kairana in western Uttar Pradesh was being seen as a test case for opposition unity ahead of next year’s Lok Sabha elections. BJP lost this seat despite high-octane campaign by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath here. The party also lost Noorpur assembly seat to Samajwadi Party.
The BJP also suffered defeat in Maharashtra as it gave away Bhandara-Gondiya to NCP, which was supported by the Congress. The BJP’s ally, JDU, lost Jokihat assembly seat in Bihar to the RJD’s Shahnawaz Alam.
Bypolls are also being held in Maharashtra’s Palghar and Bhandara-Gondiya parliamentary constituencies and a seat in Nagaland.
You can read blow-by-blow coverage of the counting below.
- They used all their money & all their power, but could not get a victory. Nitish ji ne Ram Navmi ke dauraan jo 2 lakh talwaarein baantne ka kaam kiya tha, janta ne aaj ussi ke liye Nitish ji ko puruskaar dene ka kaam kiya hai: Tejashwi Yadav (ANI)
- Jo khel woh (BJP) humaare saath khelte the, wahi khel humne seekha hai unse. Yeh kaha gaya ki kisaanon ka karz maaf hoga, par hua kya? Balki kisaanon ki jaan chali gayi. Yeh bahot bada dhokha hai: Akhilesh Yadav, SP Party President.(ANI)
- I want to congratulate all the people who voted for us. This is a defeat for those who do not believe in the democracy. People have given a befitting reply to the BJP: Akhilesh Yadav, Samajwadi Party President (ANI)
- Many voters did vote for BJP but with a lead of some thousand votes alliance has won. I would like to congratulate the candidate. The alliance has emerged strong and now we have to prepare better for future: Mriganka Singh, BJP Kairana candidate (ANI)
- Meghalaya: Congress candidate Miani D Shira wins Ampati seat. She is the daughter of Former CM and Congress leader Mukul Sangma (ANI)
- BJP wins Palghar bypoll Lok Sabha constituency in Maharashtra by 29572 votes. (ANI)
- Would like to thank all parties who supported us, thank Akhilesh ji, Mayawati ji, Rahul ji, Sonia ji, CPIM, AAP and others. Jinnah hara, Ganna jeeta: Jayant Chaudhary,RLD on RLD leading in Kairana LS bypoll (ANI)
- Congress wins Shahkot assembly bypoll seat in Punjab, NCP leading by 20,583 votes in Bhandara-Gondiya Lok Sabha bypoll (ANI)
- BJP wins Tharali bypoll assembly seat in Uttarakhand (ANI)
- Bihar: The number of votes JDU got, is less than our victory margin. People of Bihar are continuing to avenge the uturn taken by Nitish Kumar: Tejashwi Yadav on RJD won Jokihat assembly bypoll (ANI)
- Karnataka: Congress candidate Muniratna has won by 41162 votes from Rajarajeshwari Nagar assembly constituency (ANI)
- Many EVMs were faulty, names of about 50-60,00 people were missing from voter list. Also, within 12 hours of voting ending, EC changed vote percentage. So all this is very doubtful: Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena on BJP leading in Palghar bypoll (ANI)
- Nagaland: BJP ally Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) leading over Naga People’s Front (NPF) by 34, 669 votes. (ANI)
- Noorpur Assembly by-poll: Samajwadi Party’s Najmul Hassan wrests seat from BJP. This was previously held by the BJP
- RLD’s Tabassum Begum leads by 90,000 votes
- Shahnawaz Alam win Jokihat seat in Bihar, defeats JDU’s Khurshid Alam. Says his victory was the defeat of Nitish Kumar’s arrogance.
- Punjab: I think the EVM machines were rigged: Nayab Singh Kohar, Akali Dal candidate from Shahkot assembly seat (ANI)
- Karnataka: We won the RR Nagar seat with huge margin, the people of Bengaluru have blessed us- Dinesh Gundu Rao, Congress on trends showing Party leading from RR Nagar (ANI)
- Uttarakhand: Congress leading by 1092 votes from Tharali assembly seat in ninth round of counting (ANI)
- Noorpur Assembly by-poll: Samajwadi Party leading by 10208 votes after 20th round of counting (ANI)
- Punjab: Congress leading with 27049 votes from Shahkot assembly seat after 11th round of counting (ANI)
- Kairana Lok Sabha by-poll: RLD’s Tabassum Hasan leading by 41391 votes over BJP’s Mriganka Singh after 13th round of counting (ANI)
- Kerala: CPIM leading with 14229 votes from Chengannur assembly seat (ANI)
- BJP’s Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading by 19742 votes from Palghar Lok Sabha seat after twelfth round of counting. (ANI)
- Karnataka: Congress candidate Muniratna leading with 46593 votes from Rajarajeshwari Nagar assembly constituency after 12th round of counting (ANI)
- Karnataka: Congress workers celebrate in Bengaluru as Party leads from Rajarajeshwari Nagar assembly constituency (ANI)
- RLD’s Tabassum Hasan now leads by nearly 27,000 votes over BJP’s Mriganka Singh after 9th round of counting
- Naga People’s Front (NPF) leading by over 11,000 votes, ahead of Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party (NDPP) in Nagaland Lok Sabha seat
- Congress’ Miani D Shira wins from Meghalaya’s Ampati Assembly constituency. The seat was previously held by Congress.
- RLD’s Tabassum Begum extends her lead over BJP’s Mriganka Singh by nearly 20,000 votes. After 8th round, Begum had polled 1,70,787 votes, while Singh got 1,50,864
- RJD candidate Shahnawaz Alam leads in Bihar’s Jokihat by more than 16000 votes after 14th round of counting. This seat was previously held by JDU.
- Samajwadi Party leading by over 5100 votes in the 14th round of counting in Noorpur assembly seat.
- Congress leads by 18000 votes from Shahkot assembly seat after 8 round of counting
- BJP’s Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat by over 14,000 votes over Shiv Sena candidate
- RLD’s Tabassum Begum’s lead now extended to 18,000. After round 5, votes secured by Tabssum is 113742, while BJP’s Mriganka Singh gets 95577
- CBI raids at congress leader DK Shivakumar’s residence as BJP trains in bypolls. Search warrant issued for 11 people
- Kairana: RLD’s Tabassum Begum extends lead ober BJP’s Mriganka Singh by over 15,000.
- Maharashtra: NCP leading from Maharashtra’s Bhandara-Gondiya by 3100 votes, BJP second. (ANI)
- Maharashtra: BJP’s Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat by over 10,000 votes over Shiv Sena’s candidate (ANI)
- Karnataka: Congress candidate Muniratna leading by over 18000 from Rajarajeshwari Nagar assembly constituency after fourth round of counting (ANI)
- West Bengal: TMC’s Dulal Chandra Das is leading by over 20,000 votes from Maheshtala assembly constituency, after sixth round of counting. CPI(M) is second, BJP third. (ANI)
- Kerala: CPIM leading with 3106 votes from Chengannur assembly seat. (ANI)
- Maharashtra: BJP’s Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat by over 6000 votes (ANI)
- Punjab: Congress candidate Laddi Sherowalia leading by around 8500 votes in fourth round of counting for Shahkot assembly-by poll (ANI)
- Uttarakhand: BJP leading with 339 votes from Tharali assembly seat (ANI)
- Noorpur Assembly by-poll: Samajwadi Party leading by over 9000 votes. (ANI)
- Kairana Lok Sabha by-boll: RLD’s Tabassum Hasan leading by over 3000 votes over BJP’s Mriganka Singh.
- First round of counting is completed, tabulation is underway, RLD candidate Tabassum Hasan has received 3700 votes and BJP’s Mriganka Singh has received 3746 votes: Indra Vijay Singh, Collector, Shamli on Kairana ByPolls (ANI)
- JD(U)’s Md Murshid Alam leading by over 3000 votes from Jokihat Assembly constituency.
- BJP’s Gavit Rajendra Dhedya leading from Palghar Lok Sabha seat
- Congress’ Vishwajeet Patangrao Kadam has been elected unopposed from Maharashtra’s Palus Kadegaon Assembly constituency (ANI)