Bypolls to four Lok Sabha seats including Kairana in Uttar Pradesh and 10 assembly constituencies across 10 states are being held today.
Among the Lok Sabha seats going for polls is also Kairana in western Uttar Pradesh – a test case for opposition unity ahead of next year’s Lok Sabha elections. All opposition parties have together to field a united candidate here.
Bypolls are also being held in Maharashtra’s Palghar and Bhandara-Gondiya parliamentary constituencies and a seat in Nagaland.
Here are the live updates:
- 69% voter turnout recorded till 5 pm in Shahkot assembly by-election in Punjab, reported ANI.
- 70.01% voter turnout recorded till 5 pm in Maheshtala assembly by-poll in West Bengal, reported ANI.
- Noorpur bypoll witnesses 57% voting till 5 pm, reported ANI.
- Shamli DM Vikram Singh: VVPAT machines replaced, smooth polling resumes, reported ANI.
- SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav asks for re-polling
- BJP nominee for the Palghar Lok Sabha seat seeks extension of polling time over faulty EVMs
- Karnataka: 41 percent voting was recorded till 3.00 pm in the Rajarajeswari Nagar assembly constituency.
- Nagaland: 68 percent votes registered in the parliamentary constituency till 3.00 pm.
- Ampati, Meghalaya: More than 70 percent votes registered in the assembly constituency till 2.30 pm.
- Election Commission: Polling not cancelled in Maharashtra, reported News18.
- RLD leader Ajit Singh and SP leader Ram Gopal Yadav will meet the Election Commission at 3.15 pm today in New Delhi, News18 has reported.
- Jokihat, Bihar: 43 percent voter turnout recorded till 1.00 pm
- Uttar Pradesh: 30.61 percent voter turnout was recorded till 1.00 pm in Kairana Lok Sabha constituency. Turnout was 33 percent in Noorpur assembly constituency.
- West Bengal Assembly bypoll: 33% polling registered in first 4 hours
- SP leader Akhilesh Yadav ji just called me up,he also said 300 EVMs not working in Kairana bypoll: Praful Patel, NCP reported ANI.
- Over 19% voting till 1 pm in Palghar
- Anil Desai, Shiv Sena: Technical problems in EVMs&VVPATs clearly indicate failure of EC.If this is the situation in by-polls, think about coming Lok Sabha Elections. We’ve said it again & again & other parties have also agreed,that elections should be conducted using ballot papers, reported ANI .
- Bhandara-Gondiya: Election cancelled at 35 poll station
- 44 per cent voting recorded in first four hours in Nagaland
- Kairana: A clash broke out between BJP and RLD supporters in Chausana area over allegations that some BJP party workers were casting fake votes. The crowd was dismissed by police as voting is underway, News18 has reported.
- Maheshtala, West Bengal: 33.35 percent voting registered till 11.00 am
- Kairana: 23 percent voting recorded in assembly segments of Shamli and 24 percent in segment Thana Bhawan till 11.00 am
- Punjab: 31 percent voting recorded till 11.00 am in Shahkot assembly constituency.
- Karnataka: 21 percent voter turnout till 11.00 am in Rajarajeshwari Nagar
- Poll turnout in Jharkhand: The Silli assembly constituency recorded 18.22 percent voting while Gomia constituency records 14.4 percent voting till 9.00 pm
- 34 villages in Bhandara-Gondia constituency boycott polls
- “Faulty machines not replaced in Muslim and Dalit dominated areas,” says RLD’s candidate in Kairana, Tabassum Hasan
- RLD’s Kairana candidate submits complaint to EC over EVMs malfunction
- Despite rains heavy polling in early hours at Chengannur, Kerala
- Instead of index fingers, middle fingers of some voters are being inked by officials to differentiate between them, as Panchayat elections were held in some parts of Palghar yesterday
- 11 faulty EVMs reported in Bhandara and Gondiya Lok Sabha constituencies
- There have been reports of some voting machine malfunction from Kairana, Punjab’s Shahkot seat, Maharashtra’s Palghar and Bhandara-Gondiya.