Unnao rape victim died at Delhi’s Safrdarjung hospital a day after she was brought here with 90 percent burn injuries. Police in Uttar Pradesh had arrested prime accused Shivam Dwivedi along with Hari Shankar Trivedi, Kishore, Shubham, Umesh Vajpayee for raping and burning the braveheart.
Dr. Shalabh Kumar, HOD (burns and plastic), Safdarjung Hospital was quoted by news agency ANI as saying, “She suffered cardiac arrest at 11:10 pm and we tried to resuscitate her, but she could not survive and at 11:40 pm she died.”
Dr Shalabh Kumar, HOD (burns and plastic), Safdarjung Hospital: She suffered cardiac arrest at 11:10 pm and we tried to resuscitate her, but she could not survive and at 11:40 pm she died. https://t.co/xoQpYTAdQT
— ANI (@ANI) December 6, 2019
The woman was attacked on Thursday morning before being set on fire by at least five people including two accused who had sexually assaulted her in March this year. The woman was on her way to attend the hearing in her case in Rae Bareli when she was brutally attacked.
She was rushed to a local hospital in Unnao before being shifted to the civil hospital in Lucknow. The victim was later airlifted to Delhi’s Safdarjung hospital. According to reports, the victim suffered a cardiac arrest on Friday night.
The development has brought the law and order issue in Uttar Pradesh under the huge scanner once again. The government of BJP’s Yogi Adityanath has faced growing criticism for its inability to run the administration effectively.
- Unnao: Samajwadi Party state President Naresh Uttam Patel and other party leaders visit Unnao rape victim’s residence. (ANI)
- Unnao MP Sakshi Maharaj after visiting Unnao rape victim’s residence: I along with my party are in support of the victim’s family. I have been vocal about it in the Parliament as well. Culprits will be arrested. None will be spared. Unnao’s name has been maligned.(ANI)
Unnao: National Students’ Union of India (NSUI) members protest against the visit of Ministers Kamal Rani Varun, Swami Prasad Maurya and MP Sakshi Maharaj to Unnao rape victim’s residence. (ANI)
Swami Prasad Maurya after visiting Unnao rape victim’s residence: Whatever investigation the victim’s family wants, we will do it. The names that have been taken by the victim, action will be taken against them. No culprit will be spared. It is not a subject of politics. (ANI)
Mayawati after meeting Governor Anandiben Patel: There is no fear of law among criminals in UP. Rape incidents are common now. Being a woman herself, UP Governor should take this matter into consideration immediately. She should meet UP CM & UP Police to take stock of situation. (ANI)
- On direction of Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, ministers Kamal Rani Varun and Swami Prasad Maurya will leave immediately for Unnao to meet family of rape victim. (ANI)
- Lucknow: Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) Chief Mayawati arrives at Raj Bhavan to meet Uttar Pradesh Governor Anandiben Patel over cases of crime against women. (ANI)
Unnao rape victim’s sister-in-law: Priyanka Gandhi Vadra said that she will fight for justice along with us. Our only demand is that the culprits should be given death penalty, only then her soul will rest in peace. (ANI)
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Unnao rape case: Victim’s whole family has been constantly harassed since last year. I have heard that the culprits have some BJP connection. That is why they were being shielded. There is no fear among criminals in the state. (ANI)
- Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra in Unnao: Chief Minister is saying there is no place for criminals in the state but what he has turned the state into, I think there is no place for women here. (ANI)
- Dr Sunil Gupta, Medical Superintendent, Safdarjung Hospital on Unnao rape victim’s death: No indication of poisoning & suffocation was found on the body during post-mortem. Autopsy reveals that the victim died to the extensive burn injuries. Autopsy was conducted in the morning. (ANI)
- Congress General Secretary for UP (East) Priyanka Gandhi Vadra meets family of Unnao rape victim.
- Mortal remains of Unnao rape victim being taken to her village in Unnao, from Safdarjung hospital in Delhi. She had passed away last night during treatment. (ANI)
- Brother of Unnao rape victim(who passed away during treatment in Delhi last night following a cardiac arrest): I have nothing really to say. My sister is no more with us, my only demand is that the five accused deserve death and nothing less. (ANI)
- Samajwadi Party chief and former UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav tweets photo of a protest by the women’s wing of his party
उन्नाव पीड़िता के समर्थन में जुटी सपा की महिला शक्ति. pic.twitter.com/MID0QBRKCP
— Akhilesh Yadav (@yadavakhilesh) December 6, 2019