Suicide attack on BSF camp by ‘Afzal Guru Squad,’ all three militants killed


Police in Jammu and Kashmir say that militants in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday carried out a ‘fidayeen’ (suicide) attack on a BSF camp, situated right next to the Srinagar International airport leaving three jawans injured.

Director General of Police SP Vaid said said that his forces had discovered a body suspected to be that of a militant, but the identity was yet to be ascertained.

“Three personnel have been injured. Firing is ongoing,” BSF officials were quoted by PTI.

There were three militants involved in the attack with all being killed in the gun-battle, said security forces. A little unknown group called Afzal Guru Squad has claimed responsibility for Tuesday’s attack.

The attack reportedly took place took place at 4.00 AM and exchange of firing was going on between the militants and security forces, they said. Passengers on their way to the airport were barred from proceeding due to the terror attack. Decision of resuming air traffic will be taken by Airports Authority of India and concerned airlines, reported ANI.

While the passengers have now been allowed to move further after being checked-in, operations of air traffic had not started yet.

The terrorists, according to BSF officials are holed up inside the building campus of the 182nd Battalion camp.

Airport operations have been suspended as the security forces were fighting militants who had breached into the 182 battalion headquarters of BSF located in Gogoland, police said.

This battalion is entrusted with security of runway of the Srinagar airport. Adjacent to the camp is the old Srinagar air field which is been run by the Indian Air force.

The area also houses training centres of the BSF and CRPF.

Meanwhile, militants also shot dead a cop in Awantipora area of Pulwama District in Jammu and Kashmir last night.

Aashiq Ahmad, posted as Munshi in local police station, was shot at by militants while he was returning from the marriage ceremony of a relative at Padgampora in Awantipora, 30 kms from here, last night, a police official said.

The injured cop was taken to a hospital where he succumbed.