The Supreme Court on Saturday ruled that the disputed land in Ayodhya will be given to Hindus while Muslims will be given an alternative site to build a mosque.
The five-judge Supreme Court Bench comprising CJI Ranjan Gogoi, Justices SA Bobde, DY Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and Abdul Nazeer conducted the hearing on a day-to-day basis for 39 days.
All schools, colleges, educational institutions and training centres to remain closed in Uttar Pradesh from 9 November to 11 November, reported news agency ANI.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had tweeted on Friday night, “Whatever the verdict be from the Supreme Court on Ayodhya, it will not be victory or defeat for anyone. I appeal to my countrymen that our priority should to ensure that this verdict strengthens the great tradition of India’s peace, unity and compassion.”
Section 144 (prohibits an assembly of more than 4 people in an area) had been imposed in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
Bengaluru Police Commissioner Bhaskar Rao too was quoted as saying, “We’ve made necessary deployments. Sec 144 CrPC (prohibits assembly of more than 4 people in an area)imposed in Bangalore from 7 am-12 midnight. Social media will be strictly monitored. Liquor shops will remain closed tomorrow.”
All private and government schools in Madhya Pradesh too will remain closed tomorrow.
After hearing the case for 39 days, the top court had concluded its hearing on 16 October.
The current dispute is over the 2.77 acres of land in Ayodhya where the Babri Masjid existed until 6 December 1992, when Hindu fanatics led by BJP leaders brought down the 16th-century heritage site. This had led to countrywide violence and the killing of hundreds of people, mostly Muslims.
The BJP has always made this an electoral issue and the party desperately wanted to exploit Hindu sentiments in this year’s Lok Sabha polls. However, the Supreme Court’s decision to go down the mediation route appears to have put paid to the saffron party’s electoral plans.
The Court had formed a mediation panel headed by former Supreme Court judge KMI Kalifulla, Art of Living founder Sri Sri Ravi Shankar and senior advocate Sriram Panchu. But, the panel failed to resolve the dispute amicably.
- Shahi Imam of Delhi’s Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed Bukhari on #AyodhyaJudgment: We have always maintained that we will accept the verdict of Supreme Court. I hope the country will move towards development. As far as filing a review petition is concerned, I don’t agree with it. (ANI)
- Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray: Today’s day will be written in golden letters in the history of India. Everyone has accepted the verdict. I will be going to Ayodhya on 24 November. (ANI) #AyodhyaVerdict
- Ram Lalla Deity Lawyer CS Vaidyanathan: It is a great day for India. SC has pronounced verdict which has balanced interest of all parties & also tried to ensure that unity & integrity of nation is preserved & brotherhood is maintained. It is victory of rule of law. (ANI)#AyodhyaJudgement
- Shia Cleric Maulana Kalbe Jawad: We humbly accept SC verdict, I am thankful to god that Muslims by and large have accepted this verdict and the dispute has ended now. Though its their(Muslim Personal law board) right to file review petition I think matter should just end now (ANI)
- #AyodhyaVerdict: Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (MIB) issues advisory to all channels and cable TV operators to strictly adhere to the Programme Code during discussion, debates and reporting. (ANI)
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray: I am happy today. All ‘karsevaks’ who gave sacrifices during the entire struggle..their sacrifice has not gone waste. Ram Temple must be constructed at the earliest. Along with Ram Temple, there should also be ‘Ram Rajya’ in the nation, that is my wish. (ANI)
- Asaduddin Owaisi: Not satisfied with the verdict. Supreme Court is indeed supreme but not infallible. We have full faith in the constitution, we were fighting for our right, we don’t need 5 acre land as donation. We should reject this 5 acre land offer, don’t patronize us.(ANI)
#WATCH Uma Bharti,BJP on #AyodhyaVerdict: Court ne ek nishpaksh kintu divya nirnaya diya hai. Main Advani ji ke ghar mein unko maatha tekne aayi hoon, Advani ji hi veh vyakti the jinhone pseudo-secularism ko challenge kiya tha…unhi ki badaulat aaj hum yahan tak pahunche hain. pic.twitter.com/YYtY4RCz06
— ANI (@ANI) November 9, 2019
- Baba Ramdev: This is a historic verdict. A grand Ram temple will be built. Decision to allot alternate land to Muslim side is welcome, I believe Hindu brothers should help in the construction of the Masjid as well. (ANI)
- Mohan Bhagwat, RSS Chief: We welcome this decision of Supreme Court. This case was going on for decades and it has reached the right conclusion. This should not be seen as a win or loss.We also welcome everyone’s efforts to maintain peace and harmony in society. (ANI) #Ayodhyajudgement
- Sources: Home Minister Amit Shah speaks to all Chief Ministers of the country to review the security of states and asks them to take all required measures to maintain law and order. (ANI) #Ayodhyajudgement
- Sri Sri Ravishankar: This is a historic judgement, I welcome it. This case was going on for a long time and finally it has reached a conclusion. Peace and harmony should be maintained in society. (ANI)
Kamaal Faruqi,All India Muslim Personal Law Board:Iske badle hume 100 acre zameen bhi de to koi fayda nahi hai.Hamari 67 acre zameen already acquire ki huyi hai to humko daan mein kya de rahe hain vo?Humari 67 acre zameen lene ke baad 5 acre de rahe hain. Ye kahan ka insaaf hai? pic.twitter.com/Pdgyhmhv7Z
— ANI (@ANI) November 9, 2019
- Randeep Surjewala, Congress on #AyodhyaVerdict: Supreme Court’s verdict has come, we are in favour of the construction of Ram Temple. This judgement not only opened the doors for the temple’s construction but also closed the doors for BJP and others to politicise the issue. (ANI)
- Zafaryab Jilani, All India Muslim Personal Law Board: Respect the verdict but the judgement is not satisfactory. There should be no demonstration of any kind anywhere on it. (ANI)
- SC orders that the disputed land must be given to Hindus. Centre to formulate a scheme within 3 months. Muslims must be given alternate land. A suitable plot of 5 acres must be granted to Sunni Waqf Board to set up a Mosque. The disputed land at Ayodhya must be given to a Board of Trustees for the construction of RamMandir. Centre to formulate scheme within three months. (Livelaw website)
- Demolition of mosque in 1992 was a violation of law, says Supreme Court
- Sunni Waqf Board has not been able to establish its claim of adverese possession as evidence shows that Hindus were not barred from entering the premises before 1857: Livelaw website
- No evidence was led in the suit by Ram Lalla to support the contention that the existence of mosque above remains of temple would vest rights on the plaintiffs, reports Livelaw website.
- It is clearly established that while Muslims offered prayer inside the inner courtyard while the same was done by Hindus in the outer courtyard: Supreme Court
- SC holds that the mosque was not abandoned; mere cessation of namaz by Muslims cannot lead to inference that mosque was abandoned and they lost possession. Muslims offered prayer inside the inner courtyard while the same was done by Hindus in the outer court yard. (Livelaw website)
- Both Hindu and Muslim witnesses indicate that Hindus and Muslims were offering prayers at the disputed site (BarandBench website)
- SC holds the suit by Sunni Waqf Board to be within limitation. The Board has authority to institute legal proceedings (Livelaw website)
- Hindus consider Ayodhya as birthplace of Lord Ram,they have religious sentiments,Muslims call it Babri mosque. Faith of Hindus that Lord Ram was born here is undisputed. Hindus have faith and belief that Lord Ram was born under the dome. Faith is a matter of individual belief. (ANI)
- Babri Masjid was not built on vacant land. The underlying structure was not of Islamic origin : SC holds based on ASI report (Livelaw website)
- SC says Archaeological Survey of India’s report cannot be brushed aside (Livelaw website)
- ASI refrained from recording a finding on whether mosque was built after demolishing a Hindu temple, Supreme Court observes. (BraandBench website)
- The claim of Nirmohi Akhara is only of management. Nirmohi Akhara is not a ‘Shabait’. Arguments were made on archaeology report. Archaeological Survey of India’s credentials are beyond doubt and its findings can’t be neglected (ANI)
- SC says suit filed by Nirmohi Akhara is barred by limitation: Supreme Court (Livelaw website)
- Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi while reading out judgment: This court must accept faith and accept belief of worshippers. Court should preserve balance. (ANI)
- We have dismissed the Single Leave Petition(SLP) filed by Shia Waqf Board challenging the order of 1946 Faizabad Court: CJI Gogoi (ANI)
- Babri mosque was built by Mir Baqi. It is inappropriate for the Court to get into area of theology. (ANI)