Jagan Reddy stabbed with dagger inside airport by man on pretext of taking selfie with YSR Congress chief


In a huge security lapse, a man carrying dagger on Thursday stabbed the YSR Congress chief, Jagan Reddy, as he emerged out of the lounge at the Vizag airport. Jagan Reddy sustained injuries on his left arm.

Reddy is the leader of the opposition in the Andhra Pradesh assembly. He was imemdiately taken to a hospital for treatment. He took to Twitter to read, “To everyone worried about my safety – I’d like to inform you that I am safe. God’s grace and the love, concern & blessings of the people of Andhra Pradesh will protect me. Such cowardice acts will not dissuade me but only strengthen my resolve to work for the people of my state!”

Reacting to the development, AIMIM President Asaduddin Owaisi tweeted, “I strongly condemn the cowardly attack on @ysjagan this is a major security lapse which must be probed @sureshpprabhu how can a person bring a dagger inside the airport,and in a lounge ,politicians are vulnerable with this NEW phenomenon of selfies.”

Civil Aviation Minister Suresh Prabhu, for his part, expressed his shock. His tweet read, “Shocked by attack on Mr Jagan Reddy,Asked all agencies to investigate matter thoroughly,including @CISFHQrs .Asked secretary civil aviation to fix responsibility.I strongly condemn this cowardly attack,we will punish the guilty.Investigations are underway, started immediately.”

Andhra Pradesh Home Minister NC Rajappa told reporters that his government had ordered an inquiry. He said, “Opposition leader Jaganmohan Reddy was attacked at Visakhapatnam Airport today. The attacker has been identified as a worker at the airport. He approached Reddy asking him for a selfie and attacked him. He has been taken into custody and an inquiry is underway.”

Reddy’s attacker, identified as Srinivas, is an employee at a canteen at the airport. He reportedly managed to come close to the YSRCP chief on the pretext of taking a selfie with him. He’s currently being interrogated by cops. Other reports said that Srinivas was fired from his job two days ago, raising serious questions on the airport’s security.