A cake was handed over to the superintendent of Nagpur central jail for Yakub Memon’s birthday on Thursday – the same day of his hanging.
A few hours earlier before his hanging at around 7 am, the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict was told that the Supreme Court had turned down his petition.
The top court had opened at 3 am for an unprecedented hearing on the convict’s petition to stop his hanging.
Memon’s lawyers had argued that a period of 14 days was not given after his mercy petition was rejected by the President last night. However, the judges rejected this plea after 90 minutes saying ample opportunity had been given to Memon when his first mercy petition was rejected last year.
“His eyes were moist, but Yakub did not ask any questions. Till Wednesday morning, he was hopeful and had even spoken to the SP while submitting his mercy plea addressed to the President,” a jail official said.
Security was tightened outside Nagpur jail soon after the verdict was announced. Memon’s brother Suleiman and cousin Usman had stayed in a hotel in the same city.
Extra security has also been posted at Mahim in Mumbai, where Memon’s wife and daughter are staying at their home.