Family suspect Delhi air hostess may have been pushed to death by husband, allege family


An air hostess, living in south Delhi’s Hauz Khas, committed suicide on Saturday by allegedly jumping off her terrace. Police probing the matter said that 39-year-old Anissia Batra was living with her husband Mayank Singhvi in their flat in Hauz Khas.

“The couple were married for two years. We are still investigating the matter. But, her husband told us that the deceased jumped off the terrace of their house. She was taken to the nearby hospital, where the doctors declared her brought dead,” said one police official.

Batra’s body has been sent for post-mortem and the cops have registered a case. Her immediate family members are being questioned currently. Her Facebook profile said that she worked with Luftansa Airline.

DCP (South) Romil Baaniya was quoted as saying that Batra had sent a text message to her husband informing him about her intention to end her life. She apparently sent the message just minutes before she resorted to the extreme step.

The husband, who was at home rushed to the terrace, but couldn’t find her.

The victim’s brother Karan Batra told reporters that she had contacted them moments before she committed suicide. He said, “My sister messaged us to call the police. She said Mayank had locked her in a room.” According to Karan, his sister told him that ‘because of him (her husband) my life is going to go, please don’t leave him.”

He said that his family wasn’t sure if Mayank pushed Anissia or she indeed jumped adding that they had been trying to get Mayank arrested and ‘police aren’t helping.’

Anissia’s family have alleged that their daughter was constantly tortured by her husband, who allegedly demanded dowry ever since they got married in early 2016. Anissia, who hailed from Chandigarh, had reportedly called her parents last month to Delhi. Mayank allegedly hit the deceased’s mother when she tried to discuss the matter with him.

The deceased’s father, an ex-army officer, reportedly lodged a complaint also on 27 June, said the victim’s brother.