Curfew imposed in Jaipur after clashes with police reportedly kills one


Police in Jaipur in Rajasthan say that curfew has been imposed in at least four police station areas of the city after violence erupted. A journalist working for Hindustan Times said that one civilian was reportedly dead after being hit by a bullet in the neck during clash between mob and the police.

Photo: The Hindustan Times

“Curfew has been imposed till further orders in Manak Chowk, Subhash Chowk, Galta Gate and Ramganj police station areas of the city following violence in which a police station was attacked and vehicles burnt,” Commissioner of Police Sanjay Agarwal told news agency IANS.

Other reports said that there were stone pelting incidents in some of the areas with police facing difficulties in controlling the violent mob. Tear gas was used and the district administration to maintain law and order had to impose curfew in four police station areas.

Former Rajasthan chief minister, Ashok Gehlot said that he was concerned by the reports of violence in Ramganj.

His tweet read, “News of unrest in #Ramganj area, #Jaipur is a matter of concern. Govt must ensure that peace should be maintained.”

According to eyewitnesses the tension prevailed when a policeman hit a Muslim woman sitting on a motor bike with a lathi (baton) after the policeman tried to stop a bike for a routine vehicle checking in Ramganj police station area.

Moments later, hundreds of angry people gathered outside the police station and began to create ruckus. Police tried to pacify them but failed. the cops resorted to lathicharge as violent mob started pelting stones and burning vehicles.

“A petty dispute between a police constable and a motorcycle-borne couple late last night led to clashes between the locals and the police, following which the curfew was imposed around 1 AM in Ramganj area, where the violence broke out,” Jaipur Police Commissioner Sanjay Agarwal said.

It is alleged that the constable had assaulted the couple over some issue, following which a mob of locals gathered around the Ramganj police station and indulged in arson, setting ablaze five vehicles, including an ambulance and a police jeep, and damaged 21 others, he said.

Police fired tear gas shells and rubber bullets to disperse the mob.

When the situation went out of control, police opened fire on the agitators in which one person, identified as Mohammed Raees, was killed, Agarwal said.