Trinamool Congress MP Nusrat Jahan has sensationally revealed that her marriage with Nikhil Jain had ended, adding that her ‘separation happened long back.’ In a long statement, the actor-turned-politician made allegations of grave financial fraud as she promised to file a police complaint on the matter.
Nusrat said that her marriage with Jain was never valid since it was an interfaith marriage, which required validation under the Special Marriage Act in India.She said, “As the marriage was not legal, valid and tenable, there is no question of divorce.”
The Trinamool MP from Bashirhat in Bengal added, “Our separation happened long back, but I did not speak about it as I intended to keep my private life to myself.”
Without taking the name of Jain, Nusrat accused him of committing serious financial fraud claiming that he had illegally withdrawn funds from her bank accounts without getting her approval. She said, “The one who claims to be “rich” and “been used by me” has been taking money from my account by accessing my bank accounts illegally and by illegitimate means at odd hours of the night, even post-separation. I have already taken this up with the concerned banking authority and a police complaint shall be filed shortly.”
Nusrat’s statement comes amidst intense media speculations over her pregnancy. The Trinamool MP said, “In the past, details of all family accounts were handed over to him, upon his requests and none of me or my family members was aware of any instructions given to the bank via our accounts. He has also been mishandling my funds from various accounts without my knowledge and consent. I am still battling it out with the bank & if need be, would release proof of the same,” the statement read. The MP also alleged that his family members have illegally held back her assets, the jewellery given to her by her patents.”
Both Nusrat and Jain had got married in Turkey in June 2019 immediately after she won the Lok Sabha polls. Her marriage had angered a section of Muslims, who were also unhappy by her decision to sport the traditional sindoor, a sign that she was married. This was after Nusrat had arrived in the parliament to take oath office as an MP. She had introduced herself as Nusrat Jahan Ruhi Jain and sworn in the name of Ishwar. She had concluded her oath by chanting Vande Mataram and proceeded straight to Speaker Om Birla to touch his feet.
Full statement by Nusrat Jahan:
1. Being on a foreign land, as per Turkish Marriage Regulation, the ceremony is invalid.
“Moreover. since it was an interfaith marriage,it requires validation under SpecialMarriage Act. India, which did not happen.
As per court of law, it is not a Marriage, but a relationship or a live in relationship. Thus, the question of divorce does not arise.
Our separation happened long back, but I did not speak about it as I intended to keep my private life to myself.
Thus, my actions must not be questioned based on “separation”, by the media or anybody I
am not related to.
The alleged marriage Is not legal, valid and tenable; and thus, was not a marriage at all in the eye of law.
2. My visit to any place for business or for the purpose of leisure, should not concern anyone with whom I have separated.All my expenses have always been borne by me contrary to claims by “someone”.
3. I would also state that I have solely borne the expenses for my sister’s education and my family’s well-being, from day one, as they have been my responsibility. I need not use or keep anyone’s Credit Card, who I am not related to anymore. This too can be backed up by evidence.
4. The one who claims to be “rich” and “been used by me” has been taking money from my Account by accessing my Bank Accounts illegally and by illegitimate means at odd-hours of the night,even post separation. I have already taken this up with the concerned Banking Authority and a Police Complalnt shall be filed shortly.
In the past, details of all family Accounts were handed over to him, upon his requests and none of me or my family members were aware of any Instructions given to the Bank via Our Accounts. He has also been mishandling my funds from various accounts without my knowledge and consent.I am still battling out with the Bank & if need be, would release proof of the same.
5. Also, my belongings including my Clothes, Bags and Accessories still remain with them. I am disheartened and disappointed to state that all my famiy jewellery, given to me by my parents, friends and extended family, including my own hard-earned assets has been Illegally held back by them.
6. Being “rich” does not always give a man the right to act as a victim& belittle the woman alone in this society.
I have made my own identity by my sheer hard work; thus I would not allow anyone not related me to share the limelight or a title or followers, based on my identity.”
“7. I would never speak up about my personal life or anyone I am not related to. Thus, people who call themselves “normal people” must not entertain anything which is not related to them.
I would request the media to refrain from questioning the wrong person, who has not been a part of my life since long now. Turning a “Sadaharon” person, as claimed by someone, into a “Hero”, giving one-sided stor es to malign my image is not desirable.I would earnestly request my friends from the media to not give unnecessary mileage to such people or situations.