Kathua’s 8-year-old gang-rape and murder victim was given overdose of sedatives that pushed her in coma


Forensic medical experts have said that overdose of sedatives, forcibly administered to the eight-year-old Muslim tribal child in Kathua in January this year, may have pushed her to sink in coma before she was brutally killed.

Two rape accused

This was after the crime branch of the Jammu and Kashmir police, which has earned plaudits for cracking the gang-rape and murder case, had sent a sample of her viscera to a forensic laboratory earlier this month to examine the effect of mannar candies (believed to be local cannabis) and Epitril 0.5 mg tablets, administered to the girl by her captors.

After examination, the doctors arrived at the conclusion that the tablet given to the eight-year-old girl could have pushed her into a state of shock or coma (loss of consciousness). The crime branch had asked the medical experts to comment upon the plausible effect of the medicine on an eight-year-old girl with an empty stomach, reported PTI.

The crime branch’s decision to send fresh samples for examination came after the accused claimed through their lawyers in the court and supporters on social media that it was impossible for the child to not cry for help in the face of such brutal sexual assault.

The 8-year-old child was gang-raped by members of the right-wing Hindutva supporters inside a local temple for several days after she was administered sedative to keep her unconscious. One local police officer, also involved in the crime, had requested his accomplices to let him rape the 8-year-old child for one last time before killing her.

The act of Jammu Bar Association, which threw its support behind the rape accused and prevented the crime branch officials from entering the court premises to submit the charge-sheet was widely seen as pro-rapist and anti-national.

The development also evoked angry reactions from around the world. It took an unprecedented outrage by politicians and members of India’s civil society for Prime Minister Narendra Modi to break his silence. Speaking on the rape cases, Modi had said that guilty will not be spared.

However, the same day, one of her MPs, Meenakshi Lekhi, was profusely defending her party’s cabinet ministers in the then Jammu and Kashmir government, saying that they were misled. A report by Janta Ka Reporter and the subsequent emergence of a video  conclusively established that the two ministers had joined the rally taken out by Hindu Ekta Manch in support of the rapists. While at the rally, the two BJP ministers had also made extremely insensitive remarks on Asifa’s rape and murder.

Meanwhile, the doctors, after examining the viscera, said that the medicine administered to the victim contained Clonazepam salt and had to be administered under medical supervision keeping in mind the age and weight of the patient.

“Considering her (victim) 30-kg body weight, the therapeutic dose of 0.1 to 0.2 mgs per day divided in three doses for patient (is recommended).

“She was forcefully administered five tablets of Clonazepam of 0.5 mg each on January 11, 2018 which is higher than the safe therapeutic dose. Subsequently, more tablets were given…the signs and symptoms of an overdose may include drowsiness, confusion, impaired coordination, slow reflexes, slowed or stopped breathing, coma (loss of consciousness) and death,” the PTI quoted the doctors’ opinion.

The Supreme Court had recently transferred the case out of Jammu and Kashmir after the victim’s family raised questions on the impartiality of the local court. The case is now being heard in Punjab’s Pathankot. The opinion would be submitted before the district and sessions court in Punjab’s Pathankot, hearing the matter, after the summer break next week.

The crime branch in April had said, “It is to place on record that on the basis of opinion furnished by medical experts, it was confirmed that the victim was found subjected to sexual assault by the accused.

“Accordingly, on the basis of medical opinion, Section 376 (D) of the Indian Penal Code was added in the case. The medical opinion also established beyond doubt that the victim was held in captivity and administered sedatives and the cause of her death was asphyxia leading to a cardiopulmonary arrest.”



  1. So according to doctors, the girl went into coma on 11th January 2018. She was sleeping in coma without food and water on 11th, 12th, 13th and 14th and then was killed. Can a small girl weighing 30 kgs remain alive without water for 4 days? I think the accused must have woken her up from coma everyday for lunch/dinner. Alternatively, they might have her administered glucose drips?


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here