West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday issued a chilling warning to Prime Minister Narendra for sending CBI personnel without any notice. She said that her police were capable of arresting CBI officials but decided to let them go.
“I am proud to say that my responsibility is to give protection to the force. Without notice, you are coming to Kolkata Police Commissioner’s house. We could have arrested CBI but we left,” news agency ANI quoted Banerjee quoted as saying.
She added, “I will stand with my force. I respect them. I felt very sad today. This is the destruction of the federal structure.”
This was after the Kolkata Police had detained the CBI team as they reached the residence of Commissioner of Police Rajeev Kumar on Sunday afternoon. A team of Kolkata Police had later taken them to a police station for questioning.
Faced with embarrassment, CBI’s interim Director M Nageswar Rao said that he was seeking legal opinion on the agency’s future course of action.
Meanwhile, Trinamool MP Derek O’Brien said that it was time for Modi and Shah to go. He said, “Trinamool has spoken to all like minded parties and given them an update on what happened today in Kolkata. It has happened to Akhilesh Yadav, Mayawati, Congress, TDP, AAP and all the parties.
“Modi has to go, Amit Shah has to go, otherwise constitution is in danger, institutions are in danger and the country is in danger. Mamata has fought many battles before and another one starts tonight at 9 pm.”
On Sunday, Soon after the CBI team arrived at Kumar’s residence, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee too had arrived there. Banerjee, on Sunday had come to Kumar’s defence allegingthat the Centre’s Narendra Modi government was acting in a vindictive manner against Kumar, who she said was the best top cop in the country.
In a series of tweets, Banerjee said, “The highest levels of the BJP leadership are doing the worst kind of political vendetta. Not only are political parties their targets, they are misusing power to take control of the police and destroy all institutions. We condemn this.”
- Manner in which constitutional institutions in this country, like CBI, are being misused to settle scores with opponents is unfortunate…We stand with Mamata ji. If institutions continue being discredited like this federal structure will be fractured: Mehbooba Mufti, former ally of BJP, to news agency ANI
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who is now with BJP, says he wouldn’t react to CBI Vs Mamata Banerjee tussle
- We are a mature democracy & professionalism should be maintained. Even in Odisha, sudden action of CBI just before Panchayat elections in past & now before general elections smacks of unprofessional conduct & coloured with the political motive: Sasmit Patra of BJD to ANI
- The CBI to approach the Supreme Court on CBI Vs Kolkata Police matter
- CBI has got to do its job or not? When CBI does it, it’s political vendetta, when it doesn’t do it, it’s caged parrot. Let them make up their minds: Nirmala Sitharaman (ANI)
- I spoke with Mamata Di tonight and told her we stand shoulder to shoulder with her. The happenings in Bengal are a part of the unrelenting attack on India’s institutions by Mr Modi & the BJP. The entire opposition will stand together & defeat these fascist forces: Rahul Gandhi
- Spoke to respected
@MamataOfficial ji. Extended RJD’s support, BJP has not only venomous & nefarious agenda against opposition leaders but Indian Administrative Service & Police Officers. Might visit Kolkata tomorrow: Tejashwi Yadav
- Spoke to Mamta didi and expressed solidarity. Modi-Shah duo’s action is completely bizarre and anti-democracy: Arvind Kejriwal
भाजपा सरकार की उत्पीड़नकारी नीतियों और CBI के खुलेआम राजनीतिक दुरुपयोग के कारण जिस तरह देश, संविधान और जनता की आज़ादी ख़तरे में है, उसके ख़िलाफ़ ममता बनर्जी जी के धरने का हम पूर्ण समर्थन करते हैं.
आज देश भर का विपक्ष और जनता अगले चुनाव में भाजपा को हराने के लिए एकजुट है.
— Akhilesh Yadav (@yadavakhilesh) February 3, 2019
- I am shocked learning about the CBI rushing to arrest the Police Commissioner and subsequent developments in West Bengal. The country has faced similar kind of unconstitutional methods during the Emergency. Situation in WB is similar to that of the emergency days: HD Devegowda
- Five CBI officers continue be detained Shakespeare Sarani Police Station
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee kickstarts ‘Save the Constitution’ dharna at Metro Channel, Kolkata. Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar is also present.
- West Bengal: Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) units arrive at CBI regional office at CGO Complex, Kolkata- ANI