Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Monday kickstarted her much-anticipated roadshow in Lucknow. Accompanied by brother and Congress President Rahul Gandhi and AICC General Secretary in-charge of UP West, Jyotiraditya Scindia, Priyanka looked relaxed as she made her first public appearance to meet senior leaders.
Congress President @RahulGandhi arrives in Lucknow along with AICC General Secretaries & Incharges UP East & West @priyankagandhi & @JM_Scindia for a road show across the city. #NayiUmeedNayaDesh pic.twitter.com/sR9DmIxGWr
— Congress (@INCIndia) February 11, 2019
Monday’s roadshow was being termed as the show of strength by the Congress in a state, where the party has not governed for nearly three decades. Last month, Priyanka was given an official role in the party when she was appointed the AICC General Secretary for UP East.
Correspondents in Lucknow say that the media coverage to Priyanka’s road show is unprecedented and no party has received such response in the recent times. According to one correspondent, at least two big Hindi news channels had deployed nearly 7-8 crew to cover Priyanka’s road show.
Analysts say that the success of the roadshow and response to Priyanka’s stay in Uttar Pradesh for the next four days will also determine if the SP-BSP alliance may agree to concede respectable number of seats to the Congress. As of now, the alliance has only offered them two seats of Amethi and Raebareli. The state has 80 parliamentary seats.
On Monday, Priyanka also made her debut on Twitter and amassed more than 40,000 followers in no time.
Here are the live updates on her road show.
Priyanka Gandhi Vadra greeting fans at the beginning of the road show near Lucknow’s Amausi Airport.
- 47-year-old politician is reportedly travelling to Jaipur in Rajasthan, where her husband Robert Vadra is being questioned by the Enforcement Directorate.
- Priyanka thanked everyone after a hugely successful roadshow.
- This was the defining image of today’s road show when Priyanka stopped to hug and kiss a small girl.
- At one point, Priyanka and Rahul had to leave their open top bus after low hanging live electricity wires caused a huge scare. Later, the two were seen taking part in a road show while sitting in a SUV.
- The approximately 25-km long roadshow will culminate at the Nehru Bhawan office of the Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee.