Delhi’s Health Minister, Satyendra Jain, has maintained that Chikungunya could not cause deaths, adding that he had learnt this fact from Google.
Jain, as reported by ANI, told reporters that all Delhiites needed to do was to take precautions and go to the hospital only if they experienced symptoms of the vector-borne disease.
“People of Delhi have no need to panic. The state government is ready to provide help at all cost. But one should get admitted only if the doctor advises them to do so and not because they are scared,” he was quoted as saying.
Jain said that four of the five deaths had been reported from the same hospital, which made the situation quite suspicious.
“Chikungunya deaths are not happening across the world. Why is it only in a select few Delhi hospitals? And upon enquiry, I have discovered that most of the deaths are of people who were aged and already sick with other ailments,” the minister said.
Meanwhile, the death toll due to dengue in the national capital mounted to 14 as AIIMS on Wednesday confirmed the five cases of fatalities due to the vector-borne disease which has also affected over 1,150 people this season.
“The five deaths from dengue took place between September 1-13,” a top AIIMS official told PTI.
On Monday, the premier institute had said that it was looking into the details of these “five suspected cases”.
Till Wednesday, at least nine deaths due to dengue were reported this year in the national capital, though the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC), which compiles the report on vector-borne diseases on behalf of all civic bodies here, has maintained the death toll at four.