Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has said that he had been placed under house arrest from midnight tonight as authorities announced the imposition of Section 144 in Srinagar. Authorities have also partially suspended mobile internet services in Kashmir.
In a series of tweets, Abdullah wrote, “I believe I’m being placed under house arrest from midnight tonight & the process has already started for other mainstream leaders. No way of knowing if this is true but if it is then I’ll see all of you on the other side of whatever is in store. Allah save us.”
I believe I’m being placed under house arrest from midnight tonight & the process has already started for other mainstream leaders. No way of knowing if this is true but if it is then I’ll see all of you on the other side of whatever is in store. Allah save us ??
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) August 4, 2019
His subsequent tweet read, “To the people of Kashmir, we don’t know what is in store for us but I am a firm believer that whatever Almighty Allah has planned it is always for the better, we may not see it now but we must never doubt his ways. Good luck to everyone, stay safe & above all PLEASE STAY CALM.”
To the people of Kashmir, we don’t know what is in store for us but I am a firm believer that what ever Almighty Allah has planned it is always for the better, we may not see it now but we must never doubt his ways. Good luck to everyone, stay safe & above all PLEASE STAY CALM.
— Omar Abdullah (@OmarAbdullah) August 4, 2019
PDP leader and former Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti too said that had been kept under house arrest. Her tweet read, “In such difficult times, I’d like to assure our people that come what may, we are in this together & will fight it out. Nothing should break our resolve to strive for what’s rightfully ours.”
In such difficult times, I’d like to assure our people that come what may, we are in this together & will fight it out. Nothing should break our resolve to strive for what’s rightfully ours.
— Mehbooba Mufti (@MehboobaMufti) August 4, 2019
Meanwhile, Jammu and Kashmir government, according to news agency ANI, said that restrictions had been imposed under section 144 CrPC in district Srinagar with effect from midnight 5th August. This will remain in force until further orders. There shall be no movement of public & all educational institutions shall also remain closed.
There will be a complete bar on holding any kind of public meetings or rallies during the period of operation of this order, reported ANI adding that it should be noted that there will be no curfew in place as reported in a section of the media.
Jammu & Kashmir Government: Restrictions imposed under section 144 CrPC in district Srinagar with effect from midnight 5th August (Monday) which shall remain in force till further orders. There shall be no movement of public & all educational institutions shall also remain closed pic.twitter.com/B1tX8KHoWz
— ANI (@ANI) August 4, 2019
District Commissioner of Jammu, Sushma Chauhan, said that all schools, colleges, and academic institutions, both private and government, were advised to remain closed as a measure of caution.
- Shashi Tharoor,Congress on #Article370:This is not the Indian democracy we have cherished for more than 7 decades.The assurances that successive rulers of India including those of BJP have given people&leaders of Kashmir and the international community now stand torn into shreds. (ANI)
- HM Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha: We don’t believe in politics of religion, what votebank politics? Only Muslims live in Kashmir? What do you want to say? Muslims, Hindus,Sikhs,Jains, Buddhists all live there. If 370 is good it is good for all, if it is bad then it is bad for all. (ANI)
- Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha: I want to tell the people of J&K what damage 370 & 35A did to the state. It’s because of these sections that democracy was never fully implemented, corruption increased in the state, that no development could take place (ANI)
- TMC walks out of Rajya Sabha; MP Derek O’Brien says, “from 11 am this morning, we’ve been seeing procedural harakiri. We can’t see this anymore, the constitutional immorality” (ANI)
Rajya Sabha MP and Assam Pradesh Congress Committee president Ripun Bora has written to Home Minister Amit Shah demanding him to intervene & stop the re-verification of the NRC draft list of #Assam pic.twitter.com/V7DmYztlMx
— ANI (@ANI) August 5, 2019
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman: It is something the country has been waiting for the last 70 years. Even our manifesto mentioned the need to abrogate #Article370, so it is not something we brought out suddenly like a rabbit from a magic hat. (ANI)
- Kapil Sibal: Today we should think about why we’re here&what should democracy involve. I know Bill will be passed as you have manufactured a majority,therefore,we can do nothing about it.While you call this a historic moment,only history will judge whether it was historic or not. (ANI)
- P Chidambaram,Congress in Rajya Sabha: Momentarily you may think you have scored a victory, but you are wrong and history will prove you to be wrong. Future generations will realize what a grave mistake this house is making today. #Article370 (ANI)
- Nationalist Congress Party MP Vandana Chavan in Rajya Sabha: The NCP will abstain from voting on this bill. #Article370 (ANI)
- Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh: Constitution of India had been rewritten without following any legal provisions. Such a historic decision should not have been taken and pushed through in this arbitrary manner. #Article370 (ANI)
- RG Yadav,SP: If you wanted to remove article 370 then you should have done only that, why did you abolish statehood and made it a UT? World history is witness that any attempt to suppress ppl through force has always failed. You should have taken ppl into confidence atleast (ANI)
- NSA Ajit Doval is expected to visit Kashmir valley today along with other senior security officials to review the situation on ground. NSA Doval had earlier visited Srinagar in last week of July before the implementation of decision to revoke Article 370. (ANI)
- Ghulam Nabi Azad,Congress in Rajya Sabha: Shameful that you have turned J&K into a non entity by making a Lt Governor there, so that you can appoint even a peon or a clerk, sitting here(Delhi). #Article370 (ANI)
- Constitution expert Subhash Kashyap on #Article370: I can only say, constitutionally it is sound, no legal & constitutional fault can be found in it. Govt has carefully studied the matter. As for the question, if it’s a political decision, I have nothing to say on that. (ANI)
- Today we’ve opened the way for Kashmir to become another Palestine: RJD’s Manoj Jha
- MK Stalin, DMK President: Without consulting people of Jammu and Kashmir, Article 370 has been taken away. Democracy has been murdered. AIADMK is also supporting the decision which is condemnable. (ANI)
- GN Azad,Congress: A border state, which is culturally, geographically, historically&politically different was bound together by Article 370. Drunk in power&to get votes, BJP govt scrapped 3-4 things. They’ve cut off head of the country. Political parties will fight&stand with J&K. (ANI)
- Sharad Pawar, NCP: I think Govt of India should have taken them (leaders of the valley) into confidence which unfortunately the govt didn’t do. And then they should have taken the decision (to revoke 370). (ANI)
- Former Attorney General Soli Sorabjee on Bill moved in Rajya Sabha today, to revoke Article 370: I don’t think there is anything revolutionary here. It’s a political decision even though it is not a wise decision. (ANI)
- MDMK leader Vaiko in Rajya Sabha: You have played with the sentiments of people of Kashmir. When additional army personnel were deployed there, I was worried. Kashmir should not become Kosovo, East Timor and South Sudan. (ANI)
- Indian Army and Indian Air Force have been put on high alert, following revoking of Article 370 and other decisions announced by Government of India. (ANI)
- A. Navaneethakrishnan, AIADMK MP in Rajya Sabha: Amma is well known for upholding sovereignty and integrity. So AIADMK party supports the two resolutions, Reorganisation Bill & the Reservation Bill. (ANI)
- BJD MP, Prasanna Acharya in Rajya Sabha: In real sense today, Jammu & Kashmir has become a part of India. My party supports this resolution. We are a regional party but for us nation is first. (ANI)
- Close to 8,000 paramilitary troops airlifted and moved in from Uttar Pradesh, Odisha, Assam and other parts of the country to the Kashmir valley. Troops induction still going on. (ANI)
- KC Tyagi, JD(U): Our chief Nitish Kumar is carrying forward the tradition of JP Narayan, Ram Manohar Lohia & George Fernandes. So our party is not supporting the Bill moved in the Rajya Sabha today. We have different thinking. We want that Article 370 should not be revoked. (ANI)
- HM Amit Shah: This is not the first time, Congress in 1952 and 1962 amended article 370 through similar process. So instead of protesting please let me speak and have a discussion, all your doubts and misunderstandings will be cleared, I am ready to answer all your questions. (ANI)
- Jamyang Tsering Namgyal, BJP MP from Ladakh: I welcome the Bill on behalf of everyone in Ladakh. People there wanted the region to be a Union Territory. People in Ladakh wanted that the region be freed from the dominance & discrimination of Kashmir, that is happening today. (ANI)
- Satish Chandra Mishra, BSP MP, in Rajya Sabha: Our party gives complete support. We want that the Bill be passed. Our party is not expressing any opposition to Article 370 Bill & the other Bill. (ANI)
PDP's RS MPs Nazir Ahmad Laway&MM Fayaz protest in Parliament premises after resolution revoking Article 370 from J&K moved by HM in Rajya Sabha; The 2 PDP MPs were asked to go out of the House after they attempted to tear the constitution. MM Fayaz also tore his kurta in protest pic.twitter.com/BtalUZMNCo
— ANI (@ANI) August 5, 2019
- HM Amit Shah in Rajya Sabha: Under the umbrella of Article 370 three families looted J&K for yrs. Leader of Opposition (GN Azad) said Article 370 connected J&K to India, it’s not true. Maharaja Hari Singh signed J&K Instrument of Accession on 27 Oct 1947, Article 370 came in 1954 (ANI)
- Ghulam Nabi Azad, Congress: I strongly condemn the act of 2-3 MPs(PDP’s Mir Fayaz and Nazir Ahmed Laway who attempted to tear constitution). We stand by the constitution of India. Hum Hindustan ke samvidhaan ki raksha ke liye jaan ki baazi laga denge, but today BJP has murdered constitution (ANI)
- Emergency days have come back…this is murder of democracy, says Vaiko. Venkaiah Naidu says it’s only ‘urgency’ #Article370
- According to Rajya Sabha Chairman Venkaiah Naidu, PDP’s Mir Fayaz and Nazir Ahmed Laway were asked to go out of the house(Rajya Sabha) after they attempted to tear the constitution (ANI)
- HM Amit Shah: Jammu and Kashmir to be a union territory with legislature and Ladakh to be union territory without legislature (ANI)
- Constitution(application to Jammu and Kashmir) Order 2019 (ANI)
- Pandemonium in Rajya Sabha after Amit Shah’s announcement on Kashmir
- Amit proposes revocation of Article 370 from Jammu and Kashmir in Rajya Sabha
- Entire valley is under curfew, political leaders including three former chief ministers are under house arrest. There is a war like situation in the state, so this should be discussed on priority
- Several opposition leaders have given adjournment motion in Lok Sabha over the political crisis in Jammu and Kashmir
- Home Minister Amit Shah to speak in the Rajya Sabha at 11 am
- PM chairs an emergency cabinet meeting at his official residence.