A confidential letter written by the Deputy Directorate General of Military Intelligence in 2011 to the then Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad chief Rakesh Maria has revealed that the directorate had no information about Malegaon blast terror accused Lt Colonel Purohit’s acitivities in Abhinav Bharat and that the arrested army officer had never kept his superiors informed about it.
This revelation is in sharp contradiction to what terror accused Purohit has always maintained that he had kept his superiors informed about activities going on in Abhinav Bharat organisation.
The confidential letter, according to a report in Indian Express, is part of the National Investigation Agency’s (NIA) latest chargesheet in the case.
The letter, exchanged between between Additional Director General of Police (Anti-Terrorism Squad) Rakesh Maria and Brigadier Gautam Deb, states, “There is no input available with this office regarding any official communication made by Lt-Col P S Purohit to his superior officers pertaining to any terrorist related inputs or information about the meetings of Abhinav Bharat.
“Notwithstanding the above, we have also written to the concerned offices for inputs in this regard, for further confirmation.”
The NIA on Friday shocked everyone including the special public prosecutor by giving clean chit to Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, a prime accused in Malegaon blasts, which had killed 37 people and injured hundreds others.
The letter exchange between Maria and the Brig Deb isn’t the only incriminating document the investigating agency has in its possession.
Many critics have questioned the very intention of the NIA to investigating and take the Malegaon case to its logical end with utmost impartiality.
On Saturday, AAP’s Ashish Khetan made sensational disclosure about the NIA chief and his alleged role in weakening the case against terror accused associated with right-wing Hindutva organisations.
This is what Khetan, himself a former investigative journalist, said while flashing documents to support his allegations.
“I’m saying with a lot of responsibility that when the files related to Mecca Masjid blasts were being moved from the CBI to the NIA, the then CBI was about to arrest the senior RSS leader Indresh Kumar. The then joint director of the SBI, NR Wasan had produced a three-page note before the Director, CBI. His statement said, ‘these are evidence which can be used against Indresh Kumar. We must examine to elicit more information.’ These are the words of Wasan, who was a joint director of the CBI. In one of his file notings he had said, ‘Further, we may inform the MHA about the activities of the RSS as RSS cadres are involved along with top leaders in terrorist activity to initiate appropriate action as per law.'”
“Swami Aseemanand, a senior RSS leader and the prime accused in Samjhauta Express blasts case in Panchkula court. When Aseemanand moved his bail application and it came to the NIA, amendments were then made to his application. The amendments were made by the NIA DIG, Sharad Kumar. He wrote, ‘Swami Aseemanand is a social activist and he’s an old man. and it’s for the court to pass an appropriate order.’ So, the NIA DG, Sharad Kumar himself intervened to weaken the bail application. Go and ask him if this is true or not.”
Sharad Kumar was to retire last year but the central government had extended his tenure by one year prompting many to question if this was done to facilitate the weakening of cases against terror accused against those, associated with right-wing Hindutva organisations.