The Karnataka political crisis took a bizarre turn with the BJP’s hand becoming evident as senior Congress leader DK Shivakumar was not allowed to enter the hotel, where rebel Congress and JDS leaders are staying. Shivakumar said that he had a valid booking in the Renaissance hotel but there was a large presence of police while he was about to enter the premises.
One police officer was heard saying, “They are frightened of you. We cannot allow you to enter because of the letter.” Shivkumar insisted that he had a valid reservation in the hotel, but this had no impact on the cops, who report to the state’s BJP government.
Surprisingly, a group of protesters too had gathered outside the hotel in anticipation of Shivakumar’s arrival. This came hours after the rebel MLAs wrote to the Mumbai Police Commissioner asking for intervention since Shivkumar and Chief Minister Kumaraswamy were expected to ‘storm’ into the hotel.
Shivkumar, for his part, said, “I won’t go, I will wait here all day.” He said that he was not afraid of slogans chanted by BJP supporters outside the hotel. “This Shivakumar is not afraid of any slogans. I have come alone and I will die alone.”
He said that today’s development was clear that the BJP was orchestrating the political crisis in Karnataka. Karnataka Assembly Speaker Ramesh Kumar has rejected the rebel MLAs’ resignations stating that they were in orders.
In a letter to the Mumbai Police Commissioner, the rebel MLAs had written, “We have heard that Shri Kumaraswamy and Shri Shivakumar are going to storm the hotel premises and we feel threatened because of the same. We do not want to meet him. Kind request to help us in this matter and do not allow them to enter the hotel premises.”
At least 10 MLAs are staying in the Mumbai hotel after they resigned as legislators. They were quickly transported in a chartered plane owned by BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP Rajeev Chandrasekhar, who’s the co-founder of Arnab Goswami’s Republic TV.
- Congress leaders including Shivakumar, Sanjay Nirupam and Milind Deora have been detained by Mumbai Police
I condemn mumbai Police for stopping @DKShivakumar outside Renaissance Hotel. This is not the culture of Maharashtra to treat an honourable Minstr of a state. CM @Dev_Fadnavis, don’t behave like this. Allow him to meet his colleagues who hv been captured by #BJP in the hotel. pic.twitter.com/KQ8gL2mjO8
— Sanjay Nirupam (@sanjaynirupam) July 10, 2019
- I condemn mumbai Police for stopping
@DKShivakumar outside Renaissance Hotel. This is not the culture of Maharashtra to treat an honourable Minstr of a state. CM @Dev_Fadnavis, don’t behave like this. Allow him to meet his colleagues who hv been captured by #BJP in the hotel.
- BS Yeddyurappa,BJP after meeting Karnataka Governor: I requested the Governor to convey to speaker that he should take necessary action immediately. Kumaraswamy has no moral right to continue as Chief Minister,they don’t have the numbers (ANI)
- Rajeev Gowda (INC), Tiruchi Siva (DMK), Ravi Prakash Verma (SP), D Raja (CPI) and TK Rangarajan (CPhavM) e given Notice in Rajya Sabha under rule 267 to discuss on the issue of “defections being engineered to dislodge elected Governments”
- Karnataka Minister DK Shivakumar’s booking at Renaissance Mumbai Convention Centre Hotel has been cancelled by the hotel quoting “some emergency in the hotel”
- Former Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa says BJP will stage dharna outside the Vidhan Soudha, the state assembly.