Counting has begun for the recently held Lok Sabha and assembly bypolls in Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. These seats are Gorakhpur and Phulpur in UP, while three seats in Bihar include Araria Lok Sabha seat and Bhabua and Jehanabad assembly seats.
Today’s results may also shape the future alliance among the non-BJP parties in Uttar Pradesh as the Congress and the Bahujan Samaj Party had decided to back the Samajwadi Party candidate from both Gorakhpur and Phulpur.
Gorakhpuir has been a citadel of sorts for the BJP as Yogi Adityanath represented this seat for five terms before becoming the state’s chief minister last year, necessitating a bypoll. Phulpur was won the Uttar Pradesh’s deputy chief minister, Keshav Prasad Maurya in 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
The RJD’s Taslimuddin had represented Araria Lok Sabha seat until his death. The results here and other two assembly seats will determine the popularity of Chief Minister Nitish Kumar in the aftermath of his switching alliance to the BJP. The Congress had alleged a large-scale EVM fraud during the bypolls, but the DM had said the machines on only 25 booths were found to be faulty.
Here are the key updates;-
- Samajwadi Party registers big win in Phulpur, Nagendra Patel wins by 59,613 votes. RJD’s Sarfaraz Alam wins Araria Lok Sabha seat by 57,358 votes.
- BJP trails by 22,954 votes in Gorakhpur, 47,351 votes in Phulpur and 57,791 votes in Bihar’s Araria Lok Sabha seats.
- Huge setback for PM Modi and CM Yogi: BJP trails by 26000 votes in Gorakhpur, 38498 votes in Phulpur and 43000 votes in Bihar’s Araria Lok Sabha seats.
- After 19th round of counting, Samajwadi Party candidate leads by 28737 votes in Gorakhpur, BJP behind by 29950 votes in Phulpur after 21th round
- BIG BREAKING: After 17th round of counting, Samajwadi Party candidate leads by 26514 votes in Gorakhpur, BJP behind by 30,175 votes in Phulpur after 17th round.
- After 14th round of counting, Samajwadi Party candidate leads by 19000 votes in Gorakhpur, BJP behind by 22,000 votes in Phulpur after 15th round.
- BIG BREAKING: After 9th round of counting, Samajwadi Party candidate leads by 14,648 votes in Gorakhpur, BJP behind by 20,000 votes in Phulpur after 14th round.
- BIG BREAKING: BJP candidate trails by more than 10000 votes in Yogi Adityanath’s bastion, Gorakhpur Lok Sabha seat.
- RJD establishes lead in Araria, ahead by more than 1300 votes now.
- Breaking: After third round of counting, SP leads by 1533 votes in Gorakhpur.
- BIG BREAKING: Samajwadi Party ahead by 24 votes after second round of counting. 13 rounds of counting over but DM has announced only two rounds of counting.
- Gorakhpur: BJP- 15577, SP- 13911. Nine rounds of counting reportedly complete but the DM has announced votes for 1st round, say local correspondents.
- BIG- BJP trails in three out of five assembly segments of Gorakhpur
- BREAKING: BJP’s lead in Gorakhpur now reduced to 1600. DM is allegedly not allowing the announcement of counting
- BJP leads in Araria and Gorakhpur, trails in Phulpur. Saffron party’s lead in Gorakhpur reduced to 2,000. Party is trailing in Phulpur by nearly 4,000 votes.
- Samajwadi Party extends lead in Phulpur, BJP ahead in Gorakhpur and RJD in Araria
- In Phulpur, Samajwadi Part leading by 1400 votes, In Gorakhpur, BJP ahead by 1345 votes
- RJD leading from Araria And Jehanabad seats. BJP ahead in Bhabua.
- Live Update: Counting underway in key Bihar and UP bypolls