Police in Telangana say that all four people accused in the rape and murder of woman veterinarian near Hyderabad have been killed in an encounter with the police. According to Cyberabad Police Commissioner VC Sajjanar, the four accused namely Mohammed Arif, Naveen, Shiva and Chennakeshavulu were killed in a Police encounter at Chatanpally in Shadnagar today in the wee hours, between 3 AM and 6 AM.
According to media reports, a police team had taken all four accused to the scene of the crime to recreate the chain of events leading to the doctor’s brutal gang-rape and murder. They reportedly tried to escape prompting police to kill them.
Father of the rape and murder victim was quoted by news agency ANI as saying, “It has been 10 days to the day my daughter died. I express my gratitude towards the police & govt for this. My daughter’s soul must be at peace now.”
Father of the woman veterinarian on all 4 accused killed in police encounter: It has been 10 days to the day my daughter died. I express my gratitude towards the police & govt for this. My daughter’s soul must be at peace now. #Telangana pic.twitter.com/aJgUDQO1po
— ANI (@ANI) December 6, 2019
Mother of 2012 gang-rape and murder victim Nirbhaya said that she was extremely happy with Friday’s encounter adding that the cops had done a ‘great job.’
Last week, a group of four people had gang-raped a woman veterinary doctor before killing her and burning her body. The news of her rape and death had brought the memory of the Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder to the fore, with many demanding strictest punishment against the culprits.
Although the police encounter has divided opinion on the matter, many locals visited the site of the encounter and showered flower petals on police personnel to appreciate their work.
- BJP MP Gautam Gambhir: Judicial system needs to be reformed. Verdict of fast track court should be final & there should be no further appeals or mercy petitions for death penalty. If they (accused in veterinarian rape &murder case) were trying to escape then, I stand with police. (ANI)
- Cyberabad CP, VC Sajjanar: The police warned them and asked them to surrender but they continued to fire. Then we opened fire and they were killed in the encounter. During encounter, two police men have been injured and they have been shifted to the local hospital. (ANI)
Cyberabad CP VC Sajjanar on today’s encounter: Today, the police brought the accused to the crime spot as part of investigation. The accused then attacked the police with sticks and then snatched the weapons from us and they started firing on police. (ANI)
- NHRC has asked its DG (Investigation) to immediately send a team for a fact finding on the spot investigation into the matter. The team of the Investigation Division of the Commission headed by an SSP, is expected to leave immediately and submit their report, at the earliest. (ANI)
- National Human Rights Commission has taken suo motu cognizance of media reports that the 4 accused, arrested by the police in connection with the rape and murder of veterinarian doctor in Telangana, have died in an encounter with the police this morning. (ANI)
- Hisar: Naresh Selpar, Chairman, Raah Group Foundation says,”We appreciate what Hyderabad Police has done (#Telangana encounter). I announce reward of Rs 1 lakh each to all Police personnel involved in the encounter.” (ANI)
- P Chidambaram,Congress leader on Telangana encounter: I don’t know facts of what happened in Hyderabad. As responsible person,all I can say is, it must be thoroughly inquired into,to find out if it was a genuine encounter whether they were trying to flee or it was anything else. (ANI)
- Husain Dalwai,Congress on Telangana encounter: It’s wrong&can’t be supported. Police taking law in their hands&making a mockery of it can’t be supported. Inquiry should be done.Just because some people are supporting the encounter doesn’t make it right.Some even support lynching. (ANI)
- Independent MP Navneet Rana: Being a mother, a daughter and a wife, I welcome this(Telangana encounter), or else they would be in jail for years. Nirbhaya ka naam bhi nirbhaya nahi tha, logon ne naam diya tha,mujhe lagta hai use naam dene ke bajaye inhe aisa anjaam dena zaruri hai. (ANI)
Kanumuru Raghu Rama Krishna Raju, YSR Congress Party on Telangana encounter: They deserved to be shot dead. God has been kind that they were shot dead, this is a good lesson. They tried to run away&they were killed. No NGO should oppose it & if they do so, they are anti-national. (ANI)
- Baba Ramdev on Telangana encounter: What police has done is very courageous and I must say that justice has been delivered. Legal questions over it are a different matter, but I am sure people of the country are at peace now. (ANI)
- What has happened is horrible. You can take law in your hands. They would have got a death sentence anyway. What’s the point of the judiciary then?