Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange arrested, held guilty by UK court before being indicted by US


Police in London say that Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested after seven years in Ecuador’s embassy in London. He was later produced before a magistrate court in London, where he was found guilty of failing to surrender to the court.


A statement from the Metropolitan Police said, ” Julian Assange, 47, (03.07.71) has today, Thursday 11 April, been arrested by officers from the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) at the Embassy of Ecuador, Hans Crescent, SW1 on a warrant issued by Westminster Magistrates’ Court on 29 June 2012, for failing to surrender to the court.”

The statement added, “He has been taken into custody at a central London police station where he will remain, before being presented before Westminster Magistrates’ Court as soon as is possible.

“The MPS had a duty to execute the warrant, on behalf of Westminster Magistrates’ Court, and was invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government’s withdrawal of asylum.”

Meanwhile, the US government has indicted Assange, on conspiracy with Chelsea Manning to commit computer intrusion in 2010. A press release by US Justice Department said, “The indictment alleges that in March 2010, Assange engaged in a conspiracy with Chelsea Manning, a former intelligence analyst in the US Army, to assist Manning in cracking a password.”

The indictment — unsealed Thursday — was signed last year on 6 March, reported CNN.

Manning served about seven years in prison for her disclosure of US military and diplomatic secrets to WikiLeaks in 2010, before being released in May 2017.

Assange had sought a refuge at the embassy in 2012 after he got a bail over sexual assault allegations against him in Sweden. He had claimed that he may be arrested by the US and face charges relating to WikiLeaks’s publication of hundreds of thousands of US diplomatic cables if he was extradited to Sweden.

The relationship between Assange and his hosts had turned sour after he alleged in March that his internet access was revoked and he was forbidden from having visitors. This was after Assange was accused of repeatedly violating conditions of his asylum at the embassy.