Auto rickshaw drivers up and down the country have lately earned notoriety for being rude and unhelpful to the hapless passengers by refusing to take them to their destination if it didn’t suit their liking.
Thanks to the arrival of app-based taxis such as Uber and Ola that commuters are no longer having to tolerate the shenanigans of these auto rickshaw drivers.
Faced with a clear loss of revenue, the drivers of these black-and-yellow three-wheeler vehicles have now gone on strike in Mumbai. Their strike follows the same by their counterparts in Delhi recently.
However, a Mumbaikar’s recent Facebook post explains why you should not be sympathising with auto drivers.
Here is the post by Dhruv Souran, which has now gone viral;
Yesterday morning, I asked an auto rickshaw driver if he will take me to Seven Bungalows. As usual, he refused, and just stood there. Then I asked another passing auto rickshaw…he too refused and ran off. I asked a third one, he did not even bother to stop. Still, clinging on to dear hope, I requested one more empty auto…he just went off even without bothering to say “No”.
Then I turned towards the first auto guy, who was standing there watching my futile efforts nonchalantly. I showed him my Uber app, and booked a cab within 30 secs, though with a nominal surge. Then I told him in Hindi that he should remember the past 10 minutes that he saw, when the auto unions go on strike this Monday. I tried 4 autos and then booked an Uber at surge price.
Inferences for the moron(s):
1. The business that the autos lose is not because of Uber/Ola. The fact is that the business that Uber/Ola get is because of the auto rickshaw drivers.
2. A thing the auto guys need to remember – A Mumbaikar has enough money, but no time. So he will take an Uber immediately if you idiots waste his time.
3. Begging every morning for Auto guys to do their duties is not a Mumbaikar’s idea of starting his day.
4. Union’s won’t get you your passengers back. Commitment will. And yes….strikes will just drive the customers further away from you, morons.
5. Auto Strike is awesome. Makes my Mumbai beautiful.
And finally….an inference for the Government. Especially IF YOU, MY FRIEND, SHARE THIS POST :
If the government bows to the unions pressure for the votebank of autowallahs(half of them are anyway illegal)…you lose my vote for sure…and I am a part of that largely ignored but nevertheless huge votebank called COMMON MAN….whom the Congress just noticed in the last elections.