In a shocking development, the auctioneer collapsed during LIVE bidding at this year’s IPL auction. The auction has come to a halt after the extraordinary medical emergency.
The auctioneer was taking bids for Wanindu Hasaranga, who had caused a bidding war of sorts when the man collapsed with his podium. There was consternation all around as no one knew how to react to the situation.
Earlier, Shah Rukh Khan’s Kolkata Knight Riders on Saturday bought India’s Shreyas Iyer and Australia skipper Pat Cummins in the IPL auction for 2022. While Cummins, who had a base price of Rs. 2 crore, was bought for Rs 7.25 crore, the KKR bought Iyer for a whopping Rs 12.25 crore. Iyer, the hero of India’s victory against West Indies in the third ODI on Friday, had become the highest-paid IPL player in this year’s auction so far until Mumbai Indians paid a whopping Rs. 15.25 crore for Ishan Kishan.
Kolkata Knight Riders also bought Nitish Rana for a whopping Rs. 8 crore. Rana had caused a bidding war of sorts as Mukesh Ambani’s Mumbai Indians and Lucknow Super Giants also appeared interested in buying the batsman.
Iyer surpassed South Africa’s Kagiso Rabada, who was sold to Punjab Kings for 9.25 crore. India’s Harshal Patel was later sold for Rs 10.75 crore to Royal Challengers Bangalore.
West Indies’ Jason Holder was picked up by newly-formed Lucknow team for Rs 8.75 crore. Lucknow also bought Deepak Hooda for Rs. 5.75 crore.
Punjab Kings bought Shikhar Dhawan for Rs. 8.25 crore.
Devdutt Padikkal was picked up by Rajasthan Royals for Rs. 7.75 crore. Rajasthan Royals also bought Shirmon Hetmyer of West Indies for Rs. 8.50 crore.
Australia’s Steve Smith and India’s Suresh Raina remained unsold as there were no takers for them in today’s auction. But Smith’s compatriot David Warner was not that unlucky as Delhi Capitals bought him for Rs. 6.25 crore. He had fallen out with the team management of Hyderabad Sunrisers, which he captained in the past until he was unceremoniously sacked.
Wanindu Hasaranga, during whose bidding the auctioneer had collapsed, was eventually sold for Rs. 10.75 crore to Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Krunal Pandya was sold to the Lucknow IPL team for Rs. 8.25 crore. Sunrisers Hyderabad bought Washington Sundar for Rs. 8.75 crore.
Here are the UPDATES on other cricketers bought in today’s IPL auction:
- Avesh Khan sold to Lucknow for Rs 10 crore, most expensive uncapped player to date.
- Anju Rawat was sold to RCB for Rs. 3.4 crore
- Shahbaz Ahamad was bought by RCB for Rs. 2.4 crore
- Rahul Tewatia was bought by Gujarat Titans for Rs. 9 crore
- Shahrukh Khan was picked up by Punjab Kings for Rs. 9 crore
- KKR buy Shivam Mavi for Rs. 7.25 crore
- Punjab Kings buy Harpreet Brar for Rs. 3.8 crore
- Kona Srikar Bharat was sold to Delhi Capitals for Rs. 2 crore
- Kartik Tyagi was bought by Rajasthan Royals for Rs. 4 crore
- Riyan Parag was sold to Rajasthan Royals for Rs. 3.80 crore
- Rahul Tripathi was bought by Sunrisers Hyderabad for Rs 8.50 crore
- Dewald Brevis sold to Mumbai Indians for Rs. 3 crore
- Yuzvendra Chahal sold to Rajasthan Royals for Rs. 6.50 crore
- Rahul Chahar sold to Punjab Kings for Rs. 5.25 crore
- Kuldeep Yadav sold to Delhi Capitals for Rs. 2 crore
- Jonny Bairstow was bought by Punjab Kings for Rs. 6.75 crore
- Josh Hazlewood was bought by RCB for Rs. 7.75 crore
- Lucknow team get Mark Wood for Rs. 7.5 crore
- Sunrisers Hyderabad buy Bhuvaneshwar Kumar for Rs. 4.2 crore
- Shardul Thakur was bought by Delhi Capitals for Rs. 10.75 crore
- Lockie Ferguson of New Zealand was bought by Gujarat Titans for Rs. 10 crore
- Fast bowler Prasidh Krishna was bought by Rajasthan Royals for Rs. 10 crore
- Chennai Super Kings pick up Deepak Chahar for Rs. 14 crore
- Sunrisers Hyderabad buy Nicholas Pooran of West Indies for Rs. 10.75 crore
- Dinesh Karthik sold to Royal Challengers Bangalore for Rs. 5.50 crore
- Ishan Kishan was bought by Mumbai Indians for a whopping Rs. 15.25 crore
- Chennai Super Kings pick up Ambati Rayudu for Rs. 6.75 crore
- Delhi Capitals buy Mitchell Marsh for Rs. 6.50 crore
- Gujarat Titans buy Mohammad Shami for Rs. 6.25 Crore
- Jason Roy was bought by Gujarat Titans for Rs. 2 crore
- Faf Du Plessis sold to RCB for Rs. 7 crore
- Quinton De Kock was bought by Lucknow for Rs. 6.75 crore