Top leaders, politicians, diplomats and others on Saturday condemned the deadly terror attack and shooting in Paris in which at least 153 people have so far been declared dead.
Leading India’s grief and condemnation, President Pranab Mukherjee tweeted on Saturday, “Strongly condemn terrorist attacks in Paris. India stands firmly with France, my heart goes out to its people.”
“We stand with and government of France and commend their swift action in dealing with attackers,” said India’s vice-president Hamid Ansari.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi, now in the UK, and the Congress party president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi also expressed deep shock and anguish on the attack.
“News from Paris is anguishing and dreadful. Prayers with families of the deceased. We are united with people of France in this tragic hour,” Modi said in a tweet.
While condemning it as “mindless barbarism devoid of any values”, Sonia Gandhi said nothing can justify such violence, the party said in a tweet.
Rahul Gandhi said, “My thoughts and prayers are with the people of France in this hour of grief and anguish. Terror cannot defeat freedom and liberty. It will only strengthen our resolve to fight against this senseless violence.”
Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala tweeted: “Fanaticism cannot replace fraternity, violence will yield to peace, terrorism will never deter humanity’s forward march. Paris will prove it.”
A series of explosions and shootings on Friday night stunned the French capital.
US President Barack Obama said it was too early to determine who was behind those attacks.
Calling the attacks “an outrageous attempt to terrorise innocent civilians,” Obama said the United States stood ready to provide assistance for the French government.
He also said US officials were “in contact with French counterparts to communicate condolences to families of the victims”.
According to a statement issued by the Pentagon, US defense chief Ash Carter was closely monitoring the situation in Paris, and no US defense department personnel had so far been affected by the attacks.
Citing US Homeland Security officials who spoke on condition of anonymity, US media reported earlier that the United States believed that the attacks now underway in and around Paris were coordinated.
So far, no group or individuals had claimed responsibility for the attacks, and Obama said in his brief statement that he would not speculate at this moment who was responsible for the attacks.