Uddhav Thackeray on Thursday took oath as the new chief minister of Maharashtra days after the Shiv Sena struck an alliance with the Congress and the Nationalist Congress Party. Thackeray has become the second person to become the Maharashtra CM after Manohar Joshi headed the government in the 90s.
Among those attending the function at Mumbai’s Shivaji Park were his cousin and MNS Chief Raj Thackeray, Mukesh Ambani, Nita Ambani and Anant Ambani. Also present were several leaders from Congress such as Kapil Sibal and former Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis.
The Shiv Sena earlier signed a common minimum programme with its new alliance partners by took pledge to defend the secular values. It effectively dumped its age-old Hindutva agenda.
- Uddhav Thackeray takes oath as Maharashtra CM
Narendra Modi tweets, “Congratulations to Uddhav Thackeray Ji on taking oath as the CM of Maharashtra. I am confident he will work diligently for the bright future of Maharashtra.”
Congratulations to Uddhav Thackeray Ji on taking oath as the CM of Maharashtra. I am confident he will work diligently for the bright future of Maharashtra. @OfficeofUT
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) November 28, 2019
- Balasaheb Thorat of the Congress takes oath as minister
- Chhagan Bhujbal sworn in as minister. He’s a veteran NCP leader and formerly with the Shiv Sena and has held deputy chief minister’s post in the post.
- Jayant Patil of NCP takes oath as minister. He held several ministries between 1999 and 2008 including finance ministry in the state.
- Subhash Desai of Shiv Sena sworn in as minister. He held Industries Ministry in the previous government
- Also taking oath as minister was Eknath Shinde. He was the health minister in the Fadnavis government
- Udhhav Thackeray arrives with wife at Shivaji Park