Tomar Row: Police custody extended, Tomar alleges harassment but police indicate degrees ‘fake’


Ex-Delhi Law Minister Jitender Singh Tomar, who has been embroiled in an alleged ‘fake degree’ controversy, will be under police custody as the Saket court extended it for two more days. Delhi Police claimed that documents produced by him were “fabricated” and charges under Prevention of Corruption Act might also be invoked.

49-year-old Tomar, who was arrested on June 9, was produced before Metropolitan Magistrate Pooja Aggarwal on expiry of his four-day police remand and the investigators sought extension of his remand by 11 days saying the earlier time period was “not sufficient” to gather further information regarding the case.

The police also stated that they would need enough time to find out about the persons who had allegedly helped Tomar acquire the ‘fake’ educational certificates.

“Every document produced by him (Tomar) is fabricated and it needs to be probed who are the people in connivance with Tomar in procuring these documents,” police officials told the court, also adding, “prima facie” charge under Prevention of Corruption Act was likely to come into effect in the case.

It alleged that records of Tilka Manjhi University, Bhagalpur, Bihar, were “torn which showed connivance of university officials with Tomar” and it might attract charges under the anti-graft law.

Officials involved in the investigation said that lots of documents were required to be probed and the four-day remand granted earlier was not sufficient as almost 45 hours were spent in travelling more than 3,000 km.

Giving details of the probe carried out by it, the police said “Tomar’s migration certificate issued from Bundelkhand University was also fabricated and we need to go there and probe this angle.”

Opposing the plea of police, advocate Rajiv Khosla, who appeared for Tomar, said that police had already been to all the places and seized all the documents.

Khosla said Tomar was not well and the only purpose for extension of remand was to “harass him as police were totally biased and acting on someone’s will”.

Tomar, who was present in the court room, told the court that he was being harassed by the police and all documents have already been recovered so there was no need for extension of the police remand.

He also said that his counsel was not allowed to be with him during the four-day custody.

Earlier in the day, police officials stated that college authorities of Bhagalpur university claimed that some records were destroyed due to termites.

The police have further informed that there’s considerable doubt regarding the authenticity of Tomar’s both BSc and LLB degrees.

The Bhagalpur University officials will be summoned by police for further investigation.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here