Speaking at Heart of Asia Meet in Islamabad, the foreign minister Sushma Swaraj said that India was prepared to move its relation with Afghanistan at a pace that Pakistan was comfortable with.
On improving ties with Pakistan, she said that thee ‘entire world is waiting and rooting for a change. Let us not disappoint them.’
Swaraj said that it was time that India and Pakistan displayed maturity in doing business with each other.
“It is time we display maturity and self confidence to do business with each other and strengthen regional trade and cooperation,” Sushma Swaraj said in her address at the Heart of Asia Summit here.
She added that on “our part, India is prepared to move our cooperation at a pace which Pakistan is comfortable with. But today let us at least resolve to help Afghanistan — in the best traditions of good neighbourliness”.
Sushma Swaraj said in the last few months terrorism in Afghanistan grew both in intensity and scope.
“Afghanistan is threatened most by terrorism and not tribal or ethnic rivalries,” she said, adding that the Afghan security forces need the continued support of the international community.
She also invited the ministers for the 6th Heart of Asia summit to be held in India in 2016.
Following are the key points of her speech.
- India is ready to work with Afghanistan to strengthen its defensive capability
- Let us at least resolve to help Afghanistan-in best traditions of good neighbourliness-through more effective transit arrangements
- India is working with Afghanistan and Iran to develop trilateral transit through development of the Chahbahar Port
- India is willing to receive Afghan trucks at Attari. We are willing to join Afghanistan-Pakistan Trade and Transit Agreement
- Nothing can benefit Afghanistan more than full and direct overland access to India’s markets
- The ‘Heart’ of Asia cannot function if arteries are clogged
- Economic growth is only way to establish peace in Afghanistan
- India’s vision of HoA is one of interlinked trade, transit, energy and communication routes, with Afghanistan as an important hub
- The entire world is waiting and rooting for a change (of relation with Pakistan). Let us not disappoint them
- Let me take this opportunity and extend hand to Pakistan as well. It’s time we display maturity and self-confidence to do business with each other