In an interview to a TV channel, Former IPL chief Lalit Modi admitted to having close relations with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje’s family.
Commenting on his relationship with Raje, Modi said, “My relationship with Raje goes back to 30 years. She openly offered to be my witness. But then she became the chief minister and couldn’t come in person.”
Speaking about his wife’s ailment and the subsequent travel documents, Modi stated that “Operation was to take place on July 23. At that point I was prepared to give up my indian citizenship. There were many passports available to me. I was desperate.”
He said he sought help from Sushma Swaraj and Vasundhara Raje so that he could be with his ailing wife, and admitted making call to Sushma Swaraj.
He said he could have given up his right as Indian citizen and taken another citizenship but he did not do so because he wanted to prove that his passport was taken wrongly.
Modi mentioned clearly that Sushma Swaraj’s daughter Bansuri has been his lawyer for four years.
Check out the some of the key claims of Lalit Modi during the interview:
Here are the highlights of the interview:
* I challenge the ED to prove even one charge against me
* I am not a fugitive
* Vasundhara Raje accompanied my wife to Portugal first in 2012 and 2013
* Swarajs’ have been my family friends for over 20 years now
* Swaraj Kaushal has appeared pro bono for me in all legal cases
* Rupert Murdoch is behind the Sunday Times leak about Sushma
* Vasundhara gave written statement in my support for UK residentship
* Vasundhara Raje is a close family friend
* Vasundhara had accompanied my wife during her treatment in Portugal
* Sharad Pawar and Praful Patel also helped me with travel papers
* Rajiv Shukla also helped me with travel documents
* Shashi Tharoor was proved to be guilty. He lost his job because he lied
* I made the phone call to Sushma Swaraj
* Everything was done against me by the previous government
* The entire UPA government was against me
* I have appeared in every court and have won in every court
* Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje helped me when my wife was ill
* The UPA government in collusion with the UK delayed my residency
* There is not a single show cause notice against me
* No undue favours were given to Sushma Swaraj ever
* I have a family and legal relationship with the Sushma Swaraj family. It is a close relationship
* There is no hospitality given by me to Keith Vaz
* I chose Portugal because of the medical expertise
* UPA government had an agenda against me
* Chidambaram tried to deport me to India.
This is the first time Modi has broken his silence on the controversy around Sushma Swaraj’s alleged conflict of interest and the subsequent revelation on Raje becoming his secret witness in his immigration application form for UK.