Supreme Court issues Contempt notice to Prashant Bhushan for tweet on interim CB Director

0

The Supreme Court on Wednesday served a contempt notice to lawyer Prashant Bhushan for his tweet on the appointment of the interim CBI Director M Nageshwar Rao last month. This was after Attorney General KK Venugopal and the Centre filed the appeal in the top court for action against Bhushan.
Prashant Bhushan

In his tweet posted on 1 February, Bhushan had said that the Centre’s Narendra Modi government had misled the court by stating that Rao’s appointment was discussed in the high-powered selection committee. His tweet had read, “I have just confirmed personally from the Leader of Opposition Mr Kharge that no discussion or decision in HPC meet was taken re appt of Nageswara Rao as interim Director CBI.The govt appears to have misled the court and perhaps submitted fabricated minutes of the HPC meeting!”

His another tweet on the topic had read, “Today in CBI Dir appt case, the govt made a startling new claim that Nageswara Rao was selected as the interim director in the HPC meeting on 11th January when they decided to transfer out Alok Verma! This seems to be at variance from LOP Kharge’s version.”

The Supreme Court bench comprising Justices Arun Mishra and Navin Sinha, according to Livelaw website, agreed to consider the larger issue of advocates making comments on a sub-judice matter.

Bhushan, who was present in the court on Wednesday, accepted the notice and said that he will file his response in three weeks’ time. The next date of hearing is 7 March.

The Centre had appointed Rao as the interim Director of the CBI after the Modi-led three-member high-powered committee removed the then CBI Director Alok Verma from his post.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here