Hearing of the appeal filed by Bollywood superstar Salman Khan against his five-year sentence in the 2002 hit-and-run case began in the Bombay High Court on Thursday.
Salman’s lawyer argued that the trial court had made a mistake in holding that the actor himself was driving the car.
On May 6, Salman had been convicted by the sessions court for ramming his car into a shop in suburban Bandra on September 28, 2002. The infamous incident had claimed the life of one person, injuring four others.
For the alleged crime, Salman was sentenced to five years in jail for culpable homicide not amounting to murder, among other charges.
Today in the Bombay HC, Justice AR Joshi also dismissed an intervention application filed by Sushilabai Patil, mother of Ravindra Patil, the police bodyguard of the actor who was eye-witness to the mishap.
Sushilabai had sought cancellation of Salman’s bail, which was granted by the magistrate and then by the High Court following his appeal. The lady had argued that since Salman had been convicted twice for cognisable offences in Jodhpur, he should not be eligible for bail.
The application also contended that Salman may be given the maximum sentence for the case of homicide of ten years.
However, the HC refused to hear the plea saying Ravindra Patil was not a victim of the mishap despite his mother Sushilabai claiming the contrary.
The judge also imposed certain restrictions on the media in connection with court proceedings of the case, in response to an an application by Salman’s lawyer Amit Desai.
The media cannot make audio or video recordings of the court proceedings and comment on the arguments in the case, Justice Joshi said.
Desai argued that the lower court wrongly rejected Salman’s defence that it was his driver Ashok Singh and not he who was driving the car at the time of mishap.
The prosecution had also failed to prove that the actor had taken drinks before the accident, Desai said.