Legendary cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has broken his silence on the growing call to boycott Pakistan in this year’s World Cup cricket championship, to be held in England and Wales this year. Disagreeing with the proponents of the idea such as Arnab Goswami, Tendulkar said that it would be a bad idea.
Taking to Twitter, the former India captain said, “India has always come up trumps against Pakistan in the World Cup. Time to beat them once again. Would personally hate to give them two points and help them in the tournament.”
Tendulkar, however, said that he will support the government’s decision if it decided to boycott the match. He said, “Having said that, for me India always comes first, so whatever my country decides, I will back that decision with all my heart.”
— Sachin Tendulkar (@sachin_rt) February 22, 2019
After 45 CRPF soldiers were killed in Pulwama in a suicide attack on 14 February, the right-wing brigade in the Indian media had called for the boycott of Pakistan in this year’s cricket World Cup. Leading the campaign was Republic TV’s Arnab Goswami, who even launched a hashtag #BoycottPakistan on his TV channel.
BCCI’s CoA member Vinod Rai had earlier said that that 16th June (India vs Pakistan match in World Cup) was very far away. “We will take a call on that much later and in consultations with the government,” he told reporters.
Rai also said that the Indian board was busy convincing other cricketing nations to sever ties with countries, whose soil is being used for terror activities.