President Barack Obama is making his final State of the Union address.
The president will focus on cementing his legacy rather than unveiling new policies, officials have said.
Obama is expected to frame some of the key issues in a way that fellow Democrats can embrace during campaigning for the upcoming election.
As part of the tradition, one member is not attending. This time it’s the Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson has been designated as the Cabinet member who will not attend.
This is to allow the continuity in governance in case of tragic situation.
Among those who are attending the SOTU address is Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, who sat right behind the first lady Michelle Obama.
Here are the highlights of his speech;
- I will make my final SOTU address shorter (causing laughter in the Congress)
- Because it’s election season, expectations from people are long
- I’ll keep pushing for progress on immigration, gun violence, equal pay, paid leave, raising the minimum wage
- We need to fix broken immigration system
- Pace of the change will only accelerate
- How to keep America safe w/o being world’s police
- Hope we can work on criminal justice reform
- I want to focus on our future, not just on next year
- We just might surprise the cynics again
- We need to make college affordable for every American
- I will not let up on helping families
- We saw opportunities where others saw only peril
- More than 14 million new jobs; the strongest two years of job growth since the ‘90s; an unemployment rate cut in half.
- For the past seven years, our goal has been a growing economy that also works better for everybody
- Everybody that works hard deserves a fair shot
- Anybody claiming that America’s economy is in decline is peddling fiction
- We have the responsibility to lead on climate change
- USA is the most powerful nation on earth, period. It’s not even close
- We spend more our defence than the next eight countries combined
- No nation dares to attack us or our allies because they know that’s the path to ruin
- Top priority is protecting U.S. people & going after terror networks. State of the war against ISIS
- We just need to call them what they are- killers and fanatics who have to be hunted, rooted out and destroyed
- We are training, arming and supporting forces who are steadily reclaiming territory in Iraq and Syria.
- If you doubt America’s commitment., ask Osama Bin Laden. It may take time, but our reach has no limits
- When you come after Americans, we go after you
- The Cold War is over. Lift the embargo.” U.S. & Cuba have agreed to resume commercial flights
- When politicians abuse Muslims, when mosques are vandalised, it betrays who we are as a country. Makes us less safe
- It doesn’t work when we think our political opponents are unpatriotic
- Iran nuclear deal has avoided another war