Prime Minister Naredra Modi on Thursday said that family planning was an act of patriotism and India needed t tackle the issue of population explosion. Speaking on the occasion of the Independence Day, Modi said that central and state governments ought to formulate schemes to promote family planning.
“There is one issue I want to highlight today- population explosion,” Modi said adding that the country has to think if it was doing justice to the ‘aspirations of our children.’ “There is a need to have greater discussion and awareness on population explosion,” Modi said.
Linking the act of planning to a new definition of pat deserved respect. “What they are doing is an act of patriotism. Let us learn from them,” Modi added.
Modi also announced that India will now have a Chief of Defence Staff. He said, “Our forces are India’s pride. To further sharpen coordination between the forces, I want to announce a major decision from the Red Fort. India will have a Chief of Defence Staff- CDS. This is going to make the forces even more effective,” he said.
A Chief of Defence Staff will be a four-star officer from the army, the navy or the Air Force and will be senior to three service chiefs. The post holder will be a single point of contact between the armed forces and the prime minister. Currently, three service chiefs report to the defence minister of the country.
Among other things, Modi urged Indians to junk cash and adopt digital payments for day-to-day transactions. “Let us further the use of digital payments all over the nation,” he said.
Here are other key highlights of his Independence Day speech:
- Those who supported Article 370, India is asking them: If this was so important and life-changing, why was this Article not made permanent. After all, those people had large mandates and could have removed the temporary status of Article 370
- The old arrangement in Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh encouraged corruption, nepotism but there was injustice when it came to rights of women, children, Dalits, tribal communities. The dreams of sanitation workers were incomplete. How can we accept such a situation
- I know people travel abroad for holidays but can we think of visiting at least 15 tourist destinations across India before 2022, when we mark 75 years of freedom
- People’s thinking has changed. Earlier, people were happy with merely a plan to make a railway station. Now people ask- when will Vande Bharat Express come to my area. People do not want only good railway stations or bus stations, they ask- when is a good airport coming
- Every effort made to remove corruption and black money is welcome. These are menaces that have ruined India for 70 long years. Let us always reward honesty
- GST brought to life the dream of One Nation, One Tax. India has also achieved One Nation, One Grid in the energy sector. Arrangements have been made for One Nation, One Mobility Card. Today, India is talking about One Nation, One Election
- It has been under ten weeks since the new Government was formed but several pathbreaking decisions have been taken. This includes decisions for Jammu, Kashmir, Ladakh, the end of Triple Talaq, steps for the welfare of farmers and traders