Nirbhaya’s four rapists have to die as Supreme Court upholds capital punishment


The Supreme Court on Monday upheld the death sentence given to four convicts namely Akshay Kumar Singh, Mukesh, Pawan Gupta, Vinay Sharma, in the horrific 16 December 2012 Nirbhaya gangrape and murder case.

A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices R Banumathi and Ashok Bhushan rejected the review pleas filed by Mukesh, Pawan and Vinay stating that no grounds have been made out by them for review of the verdict, reported PTI.

The judgement said that the convicts failed to point out “error apparent on the face of record.”

The apex court also said that these three convicts were heard elaborately during the stage of their appeal against the Delhi High Court’s judgement and no case has been made out by them for review of the apex court’s verdict upholding the death penalty, quoted the news agency.

The fourth convict, Akshay had not filed a review petition against the apex court’s 5 May 2017 judgement.

Reacting to the judgement, Delhi Commission for Women’s chief, Swati Maliwal, said, “Welcome SC decision on Nirbhaya matter of upholding the death penalty to rapists. Wish the decision could have come earlier. Urge authorities to urgently execute the death penalty and give justice to Nirbhaya.”

The victim’s mother Asha Devi was quoted by ANI as saying, ” They were not juveniles. It is unfortunate that they committed such crime. This decision reaffirms our trust in the court that we will definitely get justice.”

Former Congress MP and renowned industrialist, Naveen Jindal, said, “Welcome the SC decision dismissing the review petition and upholding death sentence of the rapists. They deserve this.”

The Supreme Court in its 2017 verdict had upheld the capital punishment awarded to them by the Delhi High Court and the trial court in the sensational case of gangrape and murder of a 23-year-old paramedic student on 16 December 2012.

The woman was gangraped on the intervening night of 16-17 December 2012 inside a running bus in South Delhi by six persons and severely assaulted before being thrown out on the road. She succumbed to injuries on 29 December 2012 at Mount Elizabeth Hospital in Singapore.

One of the accused in the case, Ram Singh, had allegedly committed suicide in the Tihar Jail.

A juvenile, who was among the accused, was convicted by a juvenile justice board. He was released from a reformation home after serving a three-year term.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here