Former BJP Rajya Sabha MP, Navjot Singh Sidhu, on Thursday broke his long silence on the speculation since his resignation from the Rajya Sabha MP.
Sidhu accused his former party of having converted him into a show piece, something that prompted him to leave the party.
The four-time MP from Punjab also revealed for the first time what had transpired between him and Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal.
As reported by jantakareporter.com last month, Sidhu confirmed that Kejriwal had indeed told him not to contest elections.
He accused Kejriwal of encouraging sycophancy because he only liked ‘yes man.’
Sidhu had launched a new front, called Awaaz-e-Punjab with ex-hockey player Pargat Singh and Bains brothers.
Sources had said after his talks with AAP “failed”, Sidhu decided to float the outfit along with some like-minded people and held a meeting with suspended Akali legislator from Jalandhar, Pargat Singh, and Bains brothers of Ludhiana – Simarjeet Singh Bains and Balwinder Singh Bains, both of whom won as independent legislators.
The AAP, which has made it a triangular contest in Punjab by giving a tough fight to ruling Akali-BJP combine and Congress, was taken aback by the development as there were talks of Sidhu joining the party after deserting the BJP.
Sidhu had in mid-August met Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal at his residence and discussed with him his plans of joining the AAP. Kejriwal on August 19 said the cricketer- turned-politician just needs “time to think” and that Sidhu “has not put any pre-condition”, a reference to speculation that Sidhu wanted to be the chief ministerial face of AAP.
Kejriwal had said his respect for Sidhu will continue irrespective of whether “he joins (AAP) or not”.
Here are the highlights of his news conference:
- The purpose of launching Awaaz-e-Punjab is to resurrect the development of Punjab
- Awaaz-e-Punjab is the resurrection & redemption of Punjab which is in dire strait
- Awaaz e Punjab ek inquilaabi awaaz hai
- Where did that Punjab disappear which led the green revolution
- Where did that Punjab vanish which sent soldiers in army
- Where did that Punjab vanish whose sons won param veer chakras
- We need to shake Punjab, but it can’t be shaken with people with vested interests
- We need to rise above caste, creed and politics of polarisation
- Constitution says democracy is for people. Punjab’s government has been for one family
- Hai andhera bahut, suraj nikalna chahiye.. Dil se jo baat nikalti hai asar rakhti hai
- Matlab nikal gaya koi pachanta nahi, I had been converted into a showpiece
- Tere husn ka hukka to kab kaa bujh gaya, yeh to ham hi hain jo gudgudaaye jaa rahe hain
- People ask why Sidhu and Kejriwal could not come together.
- Rajya Sabha resignation had nothing to do with Kejriwal sahab
- When I went to Hamid Ansari sahab he was shocked by my resignation decision,he said he never saw anyone doing this
- Kejriwal sahab had only spoken half truth when he said I had not set any conditions
- Kejriwal said I should not fight elections, asked me to let my wife contest promising to make her a minister
- My wife asked me why Kejriwal was so insecure that he didn’t want a four-time MP to contest assembly election
- Kejriwal sahab thinks he’s the only honest person in the world. It is as if he has a copyright on honesty
- Kejriwal just wanted a yes man
- Decision on new party in 15 days