Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday replied to the debate on the motion of thanks to the President’s address.
His speech predominantly focussed on launching attacks against the Congress party. Modi turned poet briefly and recited Nida Fazli’s Safar Mein Dhoop To Hogi while also admitting that he wasn’t as knowledgeable as his predecessor Dr Manmohan Singh.
He took a dig at the Congress party blaming the party for creating the mess through what he called years of misrule.
Here are the highlights of his speech:
- Aapne jo cheezein viraasat mein di hain, un hi ki safaai karne mein humein waqt lag rha hai (It takes time to clear the mess we inherited from you.)
- Humari Parliament ne swatantrata ke baad kabhi swacchta pe debate nahi kari thi, ab 2-3 ghanta debate hoti hai (Our parliament never discussed clealiness. Now we do for 2-3 hours)
- We have emphasised on “value addition”
- Safar mein dhuup to hogii jo chal sako to chalo, sabhii hain bheed mein tum bhii nikal sako to chalo
- Kisii ke vaasate raahein kahaan badalati hain, tum apne aap ko khud hi badal sako to chalo
- We should aim to double the income of farmers by 2022
- I am not an economist like Manmohan Singh, that’s why I am not that knowledgeable. But I know some things
- I am grateful to GN Azad, he brought a record of people who didnt have accounts under Jan Dhan Yojna. He worked as if with a microscope
- Third aspect of good governance is ‘decentralisation’
- I am reviewing infrastructure projects. Some of these projects have been stalled for decades
- This is a chamber of ideas, it must guide nation. Coordination between Houses is essential. Nation is waiting for us to pass many bills
- Sometimes I feel Congress has a boon like that. Its always said “attack on opposition”, never said “attack on Congress”
- You must have noticed that LS worked till late night yesterday, even after that everyone was happy with the work that happened