More than 700 killed in Saudi Hajj stampede, over 800 injured

0

More than 700 people were killed on Thursday in a stampede during the Haj pilgrimage in the Saudi Arabian holy city of Mina, authorities said.

Over 800 people were injured in the tragedy, about five kilometres from Makkah, the Saudi Civil Defence authorities said.

“…The number of cases has risen to 310 deaths from different nationalities,” said a tweet in Arabic from the official account of the Directorate of the Saudi Civil Defense.

It’s the deadliest incident to take place place during Hajj in the last 25 years.

One Indian is among the injured. Ministry of external affairs says that there hasn’t been any confirmed death of Indian national yet.

Pilgrims were killed in a stampede near the Islamic holy city of Mecca, officials in Saudi Arabia say.

The stampede occurred as more than a million pilgrims were taking part in the last major rite of the Hajj.

Delhi chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal tweeted mourning the deaths of Hajj pilgrims. His tweet read, “Terrible tragedy. Prayers for all.”

Earlier this month, a crane had collapsed at Mecca’s Grand Mosque, killing 109 people and injuring some 400 others.

“We have a stampede accident in Mina and civil defense is dealing with it,” Interior Ministry spokesman Brigadier General Mansour al-Turki said.

“The stampede occurred during the ritual known as “stoning the devil,” where crowds of pilgrims throw stones at a rock wall meant to symbolize a rejection of evil.

Mina is about 5 kilometers east of the holy city of Mecca.

More than two million Muslims from around the world have gathered in Mecca to perform Hajj- one of the five pillars of Islam.

More to follow

LEAVE A REPLY