Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday asked both the state and his own governments to launch a photo competition on Kumbh Mela.
He said, “I want Centre and state governments to initiate a photo competition of ‘Kumbh Mela’, which is our speciality. Many people are uploading photos of the ‘Simhasth Kumbh’. We should encourage them, so that people know about the Kumbh Mela.”
Modi described the prevailing water crisis affecting hundreds of districts across India as ‘alarming’ and called on the nation to hold the conservation of water as their highest priority and assured that the government was doing everything possible to tackle the situation.
Here are other highlights of his monthly radio address delivered on Sunday as reported by ANI:
- I want to tell all political parties in the country that we must believe in our people, they can do wonders
- I want to congratulate those 1 crore families who gave up their subsidies and want to thank them. It is not a small thing
- I am very proud to say that today about 1 crore families gave up their gas subsidy willingly
- Along with education, skill development is also important. Technology can play a great role in providing quality education
- We have to now concentrate on providing quality education. We have shift focus from only ‘schooling’ to ‘learning’
- I request parents to speak to their children regarding their day to day activity in school.It can also help in providing quality education
- ‘Ganga’ is an essential water resource. We have to become a changing agent to conserve water and promote cleanliness drive there
- It is imperative to conserve and store rain water in villages. We must start a campaign to promote this
- News of good rainfall this monsoon is great but it brings challenges as well. We need to look into how to maximize crop productivity