Maneka wants special homes for children with permanent


Union Minister Maneka Gandhi wants special homes to be set up for children with permanent disabilities, saying child care institutions are “unable to provide” sustained and permanent care to them.

file photo

In a letter to the Union Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thaawarchand Gehlot, she urged him to set up special homes for such children in states, which could be run by NGOs under the supervision of local child welfare committees.

She suggested that while smaller states would require one or two centres, larger states like Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Rajasthan, Maharashtra and West Bengal would need more number of such centres.

Referring to her visit to some children homes where she met children with various disabilities like multiple sclerosis staying with other children, Gandhi said even though these institutions had separate areas marked for disabled children, they are not able to cope-up with the special requirements which these children have.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here