The number of Indian pilgrims killed in the Makkah haj stampede continued to rise, with six more deaths announced, taking the toll to 35 so far, the government said on Sunday.
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted, “Unfortunately, there are six more Indians (among dead) taking the toll to 35.”
Unfortunately, there are six more Indians taking the toll to 35.
— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) September 27, 2015
She said the Saudi authorities have released photos of 1,090 pilgrims who have died in the stampede.
Swaraj also said that the Indian embassy officials were providing all help to the bereaved families.
In the morning, the external affairs ministry announced seven more deaths from last Thursday’s stampede near Makkah in Saudi Arabia.
On Saturday, the government announced eight more deaths, and said with more bodies being identified from among the 769 deaths reported in Thursday’s stampede, the toll could go up.