Counting for 542 seats of the Lok Sabha elections has begun after the seven-phase voting ended on 19 May with the BJP-led NDA taking significant lead. Today’s counting assumes significance in light of raging controversy over the questionable role of the Election Commission and EVMs.
India’s home ministry on Wednesday alerted chief secretaries and Director Generals of Police across India about possible eruption of violence in light of the mounting anger among non-BJP parties.
Every single exit poll barring ABP News had given a landslide victory for the BJP with Aaj Tak and Today’s Chanakya predicting bigger win for Modi than what he secured in 2014. This was the reason why opposition parties reacted angrily expressing doubts over the role of EVMs. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had alleged that overwhelming predictions in favour of the BJP in exit polls were designed to manipulate EVMs between the last day of polling and the counting of votes.
The Election Commission has rejected allegations of EVM tampering to suit the BJP. Experts believe that announcement of results today may take relatively long time given the prevalent unrest and distrust among opposition parties.
Here are the key highlights:
- Congress’ Thiruvananthapuram candidate Shashi Tharoor won by 99989 votes.
- Australian PM, Israeli PM, French President, Maldives President, Sri Lankan PM, Mauritius PM called PM Narendra Modi to congratulate him. This comes after written congratulatory messages were sent earlier. #ElectionResults2019 (ANI)
- Digvijaya Singh, Congress’s candidate from Bhopal: I accept people’s mandate. (ANI)
- Congress General Secretary for UP east, Priyanka Gandhi Vadra: We accept people’s verdict and congratulate PM Modi and BJP workers. (ANI)
Lok Sabha Results 2019 Live: Pak PM Imran Khan congratulates Prime Minister Modi.
I congratulate Prime Minister Modi on the electoral victory of BJP and allies. Look forward to working with him for peace, progress and prosperity in South Asia
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) May 23, 2019
- Bangladeshi PM Sheikh Hasina has sent a congratulatory message to PM Narendra Modi. (ANI)
- Urmila Matondkar, Congress candidate from Mumbai North parliamentary constituency: I congratulate Gopal Shetty. We have noticed discrepancies in EVMs, we have prepared a report on it that we will submit to Election Commission at the end of the day. (ANI)
- Mallikarjun Kharge, Congress: We accept the result in Gulbarga, the verdict that people gave us, we are accepting it. We believe in democracy. We will discuss how to correct our mistakes and how to strengthen the party. (ANI)
- PM Modi congratulates Jagan Mohan Reddy in Telugu and Naveen Patnaik in Odia for their respective wins in Andhra Pradesh and Odisha assembly elections
- Congress President Rahul Gandhi leading with over 7,90,000 votes from Kerala’s Wayanad. (ANI)
- SAD’s Harsimrat Kaur Badal on leading from Bhatinda LS seat: People of Bathinda went with development, voted for ‘Sabka saath, Sabka Vikas’, I thank them. (ANI)
- UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath: I want to congratulate Prime Minister Modi for this victory. BJP is touching 300 mark for the first time & NDA is touching 350. I also congratulate the party President Amit Shah. (ANI)
PM Modi tweets: सबका साथ + सबका विकास + सबका विश्वास = विजयी भारत Together we grow. Together we prosper. Together we will build a strong and inclusive India. India wins yet again!
सबका साथ + सबका विकास + सबका विश्वास = विजयी भारत
Together we grow.
Together we prosper.
Together we will build a strong and inclusive India.
India wins yet again! #VijayiBharat
— Chowkidar Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) May 23, 2019
- Russia’s President Vladimir Putin sends congratulatory telegram to PM Narendra Modi in connection “with the convincing victory of the BJP at the general parliamentary elections.” (ANI)
- Japanese PM Shinzō Abe congratulates PM Narendra Modi in a telephonic conversation. (ANI)
- China’s Xi Jinping congratulates Prime Minister Narendra Modi. (ANI)
- Smriti Irani leading over Rahul Gandhi with 12707 votes from Amethi constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- BJP’s Ravi Shankar Prasad leading over Congress’s Shatrughan Sinha from Patna Sahib (Bihar) with a margin of 144249 votes. (ANI)
- BJP now leading on 300 seats and Congress on 51 seats.
- Israel PM Benjamin Netanyahu congratulates PM Narendra Modi for stunning victory
मेरे दोस्त @narendramodi आपके प्रभावशाली चुनावी जीत पर हार्दिक बधाई! ये चुनावी नतीजे एक बार फिर दुनिया के सबसे बड़े लोकतंत्र में आपके नेतृत्व को साबित करते हैं। हम साथ मिलकर भारत और इज़राइल के बीच घनिष्ट मित्रता को मजबूत करना जारी रखेंगे । बहुत बढ़िया, मेरे दोस्त 🇮🇱🤝🇮🇳
— Benjamin Netanyahu (@netanyahu) May 23, 2019
- Lok Sabha Results 2019 Live: Akhilesh Yadav leads by 78,664 votes in Azamgarh constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- Telangana: CM K Chandrashekhar Rao’s daughter K Kavitha trailing from Nizamabad, BJP candidate Dharmapuri Arvind leading by over 31,000 votes (ANI)
- Lok Sabha Results 2019 Live: Mulayam Singh Yadav is leading by 18,039 votes in Mainpuri constituency in Uttar Pradesh.
- #WestBengal: Union Minister and BJP leader Babul Supriyo leading from Asansol, BJP’s Arjun Singh leading from Barrackpore and TMC’s Mimi Chakraborty leading from Jadavpur (ANI)
- Lok Sabha Results 2019 Live: Sonia Gandhi leads by 37,192 votes in Rae Bareli in Uttar Pradesh.
- All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen leader Asaduddin Owaisi leading with over 85,000 votes from Hyderabad Lok Sabha constituency. (ANI)
- Lok Sabha Results 2019 Live: BJD leader PINAKI MISRA leading by over 192 votes from Odisha’s Puri Lok Sabha Constituency.
- Maharashtra: Former Home Minister & Congress leader Sushil Kumar Shinde trailing from Solapur, NCP’s Supriya Sule leading from Baramati. (ANI)
- BJP’s Jay Panda trailing by over 2000 from Odisha’s Kendrapara Lok Sabha constituency. (ANI)
- Maneka Gandhi trails in Sultanpur, Smriti Irani leads against Rahul Gandhi in Amethi
- BJP leading on 289 seats, Congress 49
- Goa split with one each to BJP and Congress
- BJP leads in all seven seats in Delhi, Congress second in most seats, AAP performing very badly
- Rahul Gandhi now takes lead over Smriti Irani in Amethi in Uttar Pradesh
- In Begusarai, BJP’s Giriraj Singh leading with 52095 votes, Kanhaiya Kumar trails with 27295 votes, Tanweer Hassan of RJD placed 3rd with 16775 votes
- PM Modi leading by over 20,000 votes from Varanasi
- #Karnataka: JD(S) leader Nikhil Kumaraswamy leading from Mandya parliamentary seat; Independent candidate Sumanlatha Ambareesh trailing (ANI)
- BJP’s Ravi Shankar Prasad leading over Congress’s Shatrughan Sinha from Patna Sahib (ANI)
- According to EC official trends, BJP leading on Chandni Chowk, North West Delhi, South Delhi and West Delhi parliamentary seats out of 7 seats (ANI)
- West Bengal: TMC’s Abhishek Banerjee leading from Diamond Harbour (ANI)
- BJP candidate and Union Minister Maneka Gandhi trailing from Sultanpur, Sonia Gandhi leading from Rae Bareli. Varun Gandhi leading from Pilibhit (ANI)
- Official EC trends: BJP leading on 229 seats, Congress leading on 56 seats (ANI)
- Congress leading from Puducherry. DMK leading from Dindigul and Cuddalore in Tamil Nadu
- Karnataka: BJP’s Tejasvi Surya leading from Bengaluru South and Congress leader Mallikarjun Kharge trailing from Gulbarga. (ANI)
- BJP leader Giriraj Singh leading from Bihar’s Begusarai over CPI’s Kanhaiya Kumar (ANI)
- Official EC trends: BJP leading on 162 seats, Congress leading on 51 seats (ANI)
- BJP’s Sunny Deol leading from Gurdaspur, Congress’s Manish Tewari leading from Anandpur Sahib and Gurjeet Singh Aujla leading from Amritsar, SAD’s Harsimrat Kaur Badal leading from Bhatinda (ANI)
- Delhi: BJP’s Ramesh Bidhuri leading from South Delhi and BJP’s Parvesh Verma leading from West Delhi #Electionresult2019 (ANI)
- Sonia Gandhi leading from Uttar Pradesh’s Raebareli and Rahul Gandhi leading from Kerala’s Wayanad. #ElectionResults2019 (ANI)
- Madhya Pradesh: Senior Congress leaders Digvijaya Singh from Bhopal, Jyotiraditya Scindia from Guna and Vivek Tankha from Jabalpur, trailing (ANI)
- BJP’s Pragya Singh Thakur leading from Bhopal, BJP candidate Anurag Thakur leading from Hamirpur(HP). (ANI)
- Official EC trends: BJP-9, Congress-3, JDS-1, Mizo National Front-1, NCP-1, NDPP-1, Shiv Sena-1 #ElectionResults2019 (ANI)
Visuals from inside a counting centre in Chandigarh; Congress's Pawan Kumar Bansal, BJP's Kirron Kher and AAP's Harmohan Dhawan are contesting from the Lok Sabha seat. pic.twitter.com/8EuV2wWi9M
— ANI (@ANI) May 23, 2019
— ANI (@ANI) May 23, 2019
— ANI (@ANI) May 23, 2019
- Counting of votes has begun