More than a week gone, and yet there doesn’t seem to be any end in sight for the raging controversy over the arrest of the Jawaharlal Nehru University’s Students’ Union, Kanhaiya Kumar.
Supreme Court on Friday is hearing Kanhaiya’s arrest.
Here are the highlights on the hearing:
- Raju Ramchandran is currently making arguments on behalf Kanhaiya
- Delhi Police also submits their report on Patiala House Court violence in SC.
- Delhi Police has not sought extension of police remand for Kanhaiya Kumar
- Just Now: PTI reports that Kanhaiya medical examination report shows he received external injuries during the attack on him at the Patiala House court complex, which contradicts claims by police.
- There were multiple abrasions on his left foot and nose, apart from tenderness in his left toe, reports PTI
- Supreme Court asks Kanhaiya’s lawyers if Patiala House Court was unsafe, then why he (Kanhaiya) did not approach High Court for bail.
- Supreme Court will not hear Kanhaiya Kumar’s bail plea, asks him to approach HC if Patiala House Court is unsafe.
- Supreme Court will, however, hear the case related to violence in Patiala House Court
- Ensure security for student Kanhaiya Kumar and his lawyers, Supreme Court tells Centre, Delhi Police
- Meanwhile, Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar says, “mein jo bhi ghatna ghati, jahan desh ke virodh naare diye gaye, woh galat hai aur woh sanskaar ke abhaav ke karan hai. Unke sanskaar ache nahi the isliye unhone aisa kiya.”
Meanwhile, in Bihar’s Darbhanga, the Left-leaning students block rail in protest against Kanhaiya’s arrest. Kanhaiya hails from Bihar.
— ANI (@ANI) February 19, 2016