Kashmir unrest: Curfew lifted for the first time in Anantnag, remain in force in other parts of valley


Curfew was on Saturday lifted from south Kashmir’s Anantnag town after 49 days, even as it remained in force in some other parts of the Valley, including Srinagar, to maintain law and order in view of the separatist plans to march towards the headquarters of Army at Badamibagh.

Curfew was lifted from Anantnag town this morning but restrictions on the assembly of people remain in force, a police official said. He said it was for the first time that the curfew was lifted in the south Kashmir town ever since it was clamped on July 9 following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces a day earlier.

Also Read:  Ready to talk on terror but not Kashmir: India to Pak

The official, however, said curfew continued in entire Srinagar and two south Kashmir towns of Pulwama and Pampore. He also said restrictions on assembly of people were in force in rest of the Valley to maintain law and order.

Also Read:  Omar-led J & K Oppn delegation calls on Modi appeals for dialogue

The separatists have called for a march towards Chinar Corps army’s headquarter in Kashmir at Badamibagh cantonment here.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed for the 50th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist sponsored strike. Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected, the official said.

Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

Also Read:  Bandh to mark first anniversary of Kashmir floods, Police arrests several trade union leaders

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani’s killing, has extended the strike call in the Valley till 1 September.

As many as 68 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the clashes that began on 9 July.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here