Indian arrested in China for watching ‘terror videos’ released

0

An Indian national being held in China for suspected terror links has now been released and is on his way home.

The 46-year-old Indian businessman, Rajiv Mohan Kulshrestha was among 20 foreign tourists who were detained in northern China on July 10 for suspected links to a terror group.

The Indian embassy in Beijing had been fighting for Kulshrestha’s release over the last few days.

Chinese authorities had said that some of those arrested had been watching ‘terror videos’ linked to a banned group at their hotel. The Chinese Foreign Ministry, however, was not able for comment.

The group was on a 47-day tour of the country when they were detained at an airport in the city of Ordos. The tour operator, however, only realized two days later that something had gone horribly wrong, when he didn’t hear from the group at all.

“They watched a documentary on Genghis Khan to further their understanding of the region they were in at the time, and this may have mistakenly been deemed as ‘propaganda’ material,” a British spokesman said in a statement.

“These individuals have no terror links, no criminal record in their country,” a body which has negotiated hostage releases, said.

Among those detained were three Britons and five South Africans. All of them are said to be in good health and will be making their way to their respective countries soon.

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY