The Congress vice president on Saturday addressed the protesting student of the JNU campus demanding the release of their leader Kanhaiya Kumar, who Delhi police arrested on Friday on sedition charges.
Gandhi was also joined by other Congress leaders Anand Sharma and Ajay Maken. Sitamram Yechury from the CPI-M and D Raja of the CPI too were present to express their solidarity for the protesting students.
Gandhi briefly addressed the students and earned plenty of plaudits for his speech.
Here are the highlights of his speech.
- I’m proud that in my country ABVP has right to show black flags at me
- I would like to invite the protesting students (ABVP) here to come & join our group
- They are terrified of weak Indian people raising their voice
- They do not understand that by crushing you they are making you stronger
- A youngster expressed himself and the govt says he is an anti-national
- The most anti-national people are the people who are suppressing the voice of this institution
- I was in Hyderabad a few days back and these same people or their leaders said that Rohith Vemula was an anti-national