Several areas in Gujarat have experienced massive incidents of rioting and arson attacks by protesters belonging to Patidar community since Tuesday night. They have been protesting the brief detention of Hardik Patel, who had held a mega rally demanding reservations for Patels on Tuesday.
The situation, according to reports is very tense and fluid. We are updating this page at periodic intervals.
Thursday, August 27
- Army deployed in Surat, Ahmedabad and Mehsana. Schools and colleges to remain closed
- Schools and colleges will remain closed in Surat as well
- Army deployed in Rajkot too.
- Nine trains cancelled which includes Rajdhani and Ashram Express from Ahmedabad to Delhi
- 19 trains had their routes truncated, and five trains have been diverted.
Wednesday, August 26
- 8 killed including one policeman in Gujarat violence, Army called in
- Congress demands Gujarat Chief Minister’s resignation over Patel agitation
- Parts of Gujarat still tense, six people have died, schools, colleges to remain close on Thursday.
- PM Modi speaks on the deteriorating law and order of Gujarat
गुजरात के भाईयों और बहनों से मेरी अपीलhttps://t.co/hrw0WKeCAF
— Chowkidar Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) August 26, 2015
- 5 Army columns moved into Ahmedabad, to conduct a flag march shortly.
- Three dead in Gujarat violence. Army, Rapid Action Force called in for help. 2 killed in Ahmedabad, 1 in Palanpur
- ‘Can resolve quota issue through talks’: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Gujarat violence
- Passenger train halted by protesters at GST railway crossing in Ranip, Ahmedabad
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi appeals for peace in Gujarat, says violence does not benefit anybody:PTI
- Curfew imposed in some areas, patrolling is on in the city-Rakesh Asthana,Surat CP(Police)
- Our movement is non-violent, if anything goes wrong the government will be responsible: Hardik Patel to NDTV
- Fresh clashes in Ahmedabad, Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation office vandalized,vehicles set on fire in Ghatlodia west
- 5,000 paramilitary personnel rushed to Gujarat in the wake of Tuesday night’s violence agitation by Patel community.
- Dangerous to instigate violence like this,state Govt in control of situation-Kiren Rijiju,MoS Home on Patel issue
- Surat diamond market to remain closed today
- Additional forces rushed to Gujarat as requested by the state Govt: MHA
- Schools and colleges closed in Surat, curfew in Kapodara and Sarthana areas
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh speaks to Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel,discusses current situation
- CM Anandiben Patel appears on TV urging people to maintain peace and calm
- I appeal people of Gujarat to maintain peace: Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel
- State Govt fully tried that the rally in Ahmedabad is held in a peaceful way: Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel
- But something happened at the protest site in Ahmedabad after 8 that the police lathicharged: Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel
- Security beefed up around Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel’s residence in Gandhinagar
- Gujarat bandh called by Patidar community on Wednesday, 26 August
Tuesday, August 25
- Law and order goes out of hand after the reports suggest that the protesters in Gujarat have set the state’s Home Minister Rajni Patel’s home set on fire.
- Curfew in Gujarat’s Mehsana following violence by protesters demanding Patel reservation
- Internet Services have been suspended in Gujarat.
- Curfew declared in Surat: Reports
Patel Agitation: Visuals of vehicles damaged last night in Rajkot pic.twitter.com/OZ2zqFUBzy
— ANI (@ANI) August 26, 2015
What people are saying on twitter:
Fellow Indians ..
Please Please Don't Post Share Circulate pics of Violence ..
Maintain Peace Gujarat !!!
— Aarti (@aartic02) August 25, 2015
PM Modi must be in touch with CM Anandiben Patel. They will not let anyone disturb Gujarat's peace…(Lessons of the past)
— Manak Gupta (@manakgupta) August 25, 2015
Gujarat has always been a state that has led by example. Saddened by the current situation. Let good sense prevail.
— Chowkidar Priti Gandhi (@MrsGandhi) August 25, 2015
As it is, Situation Tense in Gujarat. Avoid sharing unconfirmed reports and rumours.
— Joy (@Joydas) August 25, 2015
Pretty disgusting of #AdarshLiberals to cite 'Gujarat Model' to describe what's happening in Gujarat. The glee on their faces unmistakable.
— Kartikeya Tanna (@KartikeyaTanna) August 25, 2015
Hope this time the #Gujarat govt does not look the other way while the state burns. Hope the state has learnt its lessons ftom the past.
— Rana Ayyub (@RanaAyyub) August 25, 2015