Former Transport minister of Delhi, Gopal Rai, on Tuesday voluntarily presented himself before ACB Chief M K Meena and claimed that the probe agency was “totally clueless” to substantiate the graft charges in the scheme.
His appearance before the ACB came amidst allegations of corruption against Delhi government.
Rai on Monday had said that he will personally go to the Anti-Corruption Branch to discuss the app-based premium bus service scam, which has been mired in allegations of corruption.
Kejriwal had recently tweeted asking Rai present himself before the ACB to answer questions on the bus controversy.
Meena was quoted by PTI as saying that the investigation into the matter showed that the scheme was launched in “connivance” with a particular company and his body will take legal action against every concerned officer if they failed to provide all necessary documents in connection with the matter.
Rai, who submitted his resignation on Tuesday citing ill-health, was accompanied by senior officials of transport department. Later, he also met Lt Governor Najeeb Jung and asked him for evidence proving the corruption in the premium bus scheme, alleging that the move wastotally politically-motivated to defame it.
He told reporters, “In view of continuous harassment of Transport department s officers by the ACB in connection with the case, I voluntarily appeared before the agency to know what evidence of corruption they have.
“When I today visited the ACB office, they (investigators) were clueless to establish any types of corruption charges in the scheme. Meena told me that the ACB has not registered an FIR in connection with scheme so far.”
The former Transport minister said that he has also asked Meena for any proof which proves corruption in scheme, saying that he was ready to provide any file pertaining to the scheme to the probe agency.
“I have also asked him about any proof he wants to get from our side. I have given all files relating to scheme to Transport department. ACB can ask the department for these files,” he added.
According to Meena, who is also a Special Commissioner of Police, the scheme was launched in “connivance” with a company. There are other allegations also, which the ACB is investigating.
“Today it was preliminary questioning. He (Rai) did bring some files with him and we have asked for more information. We will call each and every officer, who we feel is required for investigation purpose. In case that doesn’t happen or we do not get the required documents, legal action will be taken against them,” the ACB chief said.
Meena also said that the ACB has come across allegations that the concerned company, for which the scheme was allegedly designed, has already advertised about the same presuming that they were going to start the service. All these points have been considered in the probe, he added.