Police in Jhabua say that Saturday’s explosion that killed more than 90 people was not caused by the cylinder blast as was widely reported. Instead, according to the cops, it was triggered by gelatine sticks used to cause explosion in mining.
Police has booked the owner of the shop, which stored these explosive sticks. He’s absconding, while his house and shop have been sealed.
The explosion, had taken place at around 9 am in the morning while people were having breakfast in the restaurant, located near the shop. Over 90 people are reported to have died and nearly 100 injured in the explosion that also caused the two-storey building housing the restaurant to collapse.
Jhabua police officials on Saturday had said that the restaurant’s close proximity to the bus stand had contributed to the high number of casualties.
On Saturday, both the state home minister, Babulal Gaur and Prime Minister Narendra Modi too had said that the blasts had been caused by a gas cylinder.
prime Minister’s tweet had said;
Extremely pained at the loss of lives due to the cylinder blast in Jhabua. My deepest condolences to the families of the deceased: PM
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) September 12, 2015
Jantakareporter.com has learnt that the shop owner, Rajendra Kaswa, had been given a licence valid for him to sell gelatine from this shop. Ten years ago, his brother too had died in a blast caused by gelatine.
On saturday morning, there was a smaller blast, which prompted those standing nearby to move towards the shop and see what hat happened. While they all gathered around the shop, a second but more powerful explosion took place resulting in the higher number of casualties.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, who announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for the families of those killed and Rs 50,000 for injured, is visiting the blast site today. He met the victims and their relatives and is busy taking stock of situation.