Explosive revelation in Judge Loya’s mysterious death, batch-mate says he was under pressure from Justice Mohit Shah


In a sensational twist to the mysterious death of judge Brijgopal Harkishan Loya, one of his former batch-mates has revealed that his friend was under tremendous pressure from the former chief justice of Bombay High Court, Justice Mohit Shah.

Judge Loya

Judge Loya, who was presiding over the fake encounter case of Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsiram Prajapati, had died in a mysterious circumstances in Nagpur in November 2014.

Uday Gaware, the batch-mate of Judge Loya, told The Caravan magazine, “In 2014, Brijmohan Ji Loya visited Latur during the Diwali vacation. He also visited his village. During that period, I met him in the court. During that meeting, he spoke about the matter he was hearing, the Sohrabuddin murder case. He was under pressure because of the case. He had stopped talking to people. The otherwise jovial Brijmohan Loya was in tension. I saw it for the first time. He was pressurised.

“All he said was that the case he was handling was a very high-profile case. There’s a lot of evidence. But I am facing pressure. When Chief Justice Mohit Shah was the Chief Justice (of Bombay High Court), he was exerting pressure on him. Loya Ji, as I said, would visit the court whenever he had holidays.”

Reminiscing his conversation with Judge Loya, Gaware added that he wanted to quit. According to Gaware, Judge Loya said that he wanted to resign.

“I will come to the village and take up farming, but I will not give a wrong judgement,” was what Judge Loya was reported to have told Gaware.

You can watch the full interview with Gaware below;

Judge Loya’s sister had told The Caravan that the then Bombay High Court Chief Justice Mohit Shah allegedly made an offer of Rs 100 crore to her brother fabourable judgement.

Judge Brijgopal Harkishan Loya was hearing the fake encounter case against Amit Shah, who also had to serve time in jail before being released. Loya was later found dead in mysterious circumstances while attending a wedding in Nagpur between the night of 30 November and the early morning of 1 December 2014.

The Caravan website reported“Among those I spoke to was one of Loya’s sisters, Anuradha Biyani, a medical doctor based in Dhule, Maharashtra. Biyani made an explosive claim to me: Loya, she said, confided to her that Mohit Shah, then the chief justice of the Bombay High Court, had offered him a bribe of Rs 100 crore in return for a favourable judgment. She said Loya had told her this some weeks before he died, when the family gathered for Diwali at their ancestral home in Gategaon. Loya’s father Harkishan also told me that his son had told him he had offers to deliver a favourable judgment in exchange for money and a house in Mumbai.”

The website, in its first part published had cast doubts on Loya’s death, which was described to be due to heart attack.

Brijgopal Harkishan Loya was appointed to the special CBI court in June 2014, after his predecessor, JT Utpat, was transferred within weeks of reprimanding Amit Shah for seeking an exemption from appearing in court.

A report published in Outlook in February 2015 had said, “During the CBI court’s hearings that Utpat presided over for this one year, or even after, court records suggest Amit Shah had never turned up even once—including on the final day of discharge. Shah’s counsel apparently made oral submissions for exempting him from personal appearance on grounds ranging from him being ‘a diabetic and hence unable to move’ to the more blase: ‘he is busy in Delhi.’”



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here