More than 200 rank-holders who after appearing for the 2013-14 Indian postal examinations were denied appointment for the postal assistant position held massive protests at the Dak Bhawan in New Delhi on Monday.
Applicants allege that around 2,000 rank-holders from various states had been denied appointment through a stay order issued three months ago. More than 200 of these are now holding a sit-down protest with posters criticising the government. Most of them say their families are in deep distress over them being denied jobs for no apparent reason.
Police officers later dispersed the crowd at Dak Bhawan, asking them to hold the protests at Jantar Mantar instead.
Earlier this year in May, Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad had assured that there would be no job losses during transformation of the Department of Posts.
Prasad has now failed to take cognisance of this issue despite him having assured the same to affected parties on Twitter, say applicants.
Also, in response to an RTI application that enquired how long it will take to remove the stay on issuing appointment letters for deserving candidates, the government said no such information was available with them.
The postal department reportedly made an abeyance on joining of newly recruited PA/SAs of 2014 on 27/4/2015 till further orders. This, however, affected only those candidates who didn’t get a joining letter till that time. The situation now is that while some candidates have joined, some are affected due to the uncertainty.
Candidates also allege that in some circles, the inhouse training of rank-holders has been stopped due to this abeyance while there is no such order in that abeyance letter. Also, in some cases the candidates who completed their inhouse training were made to sit at home while others who had completed their training got their due joining letter.
One of the reasons for the government taking this extreme step in states like Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka could be an attempt to cut costs, an applicant told Jantakareporter.com.
Almost two years have passed but the government has refused appointment letters for some candidates who have scored better marks than some of those who have already been employed as postal assistants in the Department of Posts.
— Prasad (@gprasad378) July 25, 2015