DMK President and the former chief minister of Tamil Nadu, M Karunanidhi, has died at the age of 94. His death was confirmed by Kauvery hospital at 6.40 pm.
Confirming the news, the hospital said, “With deep anguish, we announce the demise of our beloved Kalaingar Dr M Karunanidhi on 07.08.2018 at 06 10 PM. Despite the best possible efforts by our team of doctors and nurses to resuscitate him, he failed to respond.
This was barely few hours after doctors treating Karunanidhi at Kauvery Hospital in Chennai said that veteran politician’s condition had turned ‘extremely critical and unstable.’
In his eaerlier medical bulletin, the Dr Aravindan Selvaraj, had said, “There has been significant decline in the clinical condition of Kalaignar Dr M Karunanidhi over the last few hours. Despite maximum medical support, his vital organ functions continue to deteriorate.”
In his previous medical bulletin on Monday, Dr Selvaraj had said that the next 24 hours were crucial as the 94-year-old politician’s health condition deteriorated.
Karunanidhi was admitted to the intensive care unit of the hospital on July 28 following a dip in his blood pressure, which stabilised after medical intervention. The hospital, however, had on 31 July had said an extended period of hospitalisation will be necessary due to age related overall decline in his general health, altered liver function and haematological parameters. Since then he continues to be monitored by a team of specialists, reported PTI.
Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Palaniswami held a meeting with top officials and reviewed the situation in light of declining health of Karunanidhi. Security has been beefed up at the hospital and the Gopalapuram residence of the five-time chief minister in Chennai. A general alert has been sounded across Tamil Nadu.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi tweeted, “My thoughts are with the family and the countless supporters of Karunanidhi Ji in this hour of grief. India and particularly Tamil Nadu will miss him immensely. May his soul rest in peace.”
Indian cricketer R Ashwin, who hails from Tamil Nadu, tweeted, “It’s sad to hear about the demise of Dr. M. Karunanidhi, may his RIP and my condolences to his family and friends.”
Congress President Rahul Gandhi tweeted, “Loved by the Tamilian people, Kalaignar strode the stage of Tamil politics, like a colossus, for over 6 decades. In his passing, India has lost a great son. My condolences to his family as also to the millions of Indians who grieve for their beloved leader tonight.”
- NCP chief Sharad Pawar, former Union Minister Praful Patel and former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah pay respects to Karunanidhi.
- Two dead, several injured in stampede outside Rajaji Hall. reports indianexpress
- Sonia Gandhi writes to MK Stalin: ‘Kalaignar’s loss very personal’: indian express
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal arrives in Chennai to pay his last respects to the DMK patriarch
- Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha adjourned for the day as a mark of respect to former CM M
- PM Narendra Modi arrives in Chennai to pay tribute to Karunanidhi. Among other leaders, who are expected to arrive in Chennai today are Congress President Rahul Gandhi, Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Kerala Governor Sadhasivam, Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan etc.
- BREAKING: DMK cadres erupt in joy, raise slogans as Madras High Court grants permission to bury #Karunanidhi next to his mentor on the Marina,
- The Hindu reports: Petitioner ‘Traffic’ Ramaswamy’s counsel tells Madras HC that he had no objection to burying Karunanidhi at the Marina. The court asks the govt to make sure that there is no law and order problem in the State until court decides on the DMK plea. Senior counsel C.S. Vaidyanathan tells the court that it was unfair on the part of the DMK to file a case during night hours, expects the government to respond immediately.
- Hearing adjourned till 8 am in the morning as the state government asked to file its reply. Experts believe that it will be very difficult for the state government to defend its decision to deny Karunanidhi a burial at Marina now.
- Hearing begins past midnight amidst host of petitions challenging the building of memorial at Marina beach are withdrawn
- Karunanidhi’s body arrives at his Gopalpuram residence amid an outpouring of emotion.
- Actor Rajinikanth tweets: “The Tamil Nadu government must take all steps to provide space for burying Karunanidhi next to Anna Memorial at the Marina. This would be the highest respect we would be paying to him. This is my humble request”
- Rahul Gandhi tweets: Like Jayalalitha ji, Kalaignar was an expression of the voice of the Tamil people. That voice deserves to be given space on Marina Beach. I am sure the current leaders of Tamil Nadu will be magnanimous in this time of grief. #Marina4Kalaignar
- In his death we’ve lost a great genius, says Dr Manmohan Singh on DMK patriarch’s death
- Karnataka Government has declared one day state mourning for tomorrow
- Centre to accord State funeral to DMK patriarch
#Karunanidhi , national flag to fly half mast tomorrow as a mark of respect, reports The Hindu
- Justice Ramesh wanted to hear the case at 10.30 a.m. tomorrow. But the DMK lawyers insisted on an immediate hearing, and so he asked them to file the case papers with the Registrar (Judicial) and assemble at his residence at 10.30 p.m.
- Chief Justice of Madras High Court Justice Huluvadi G. Ramesh to hear the case at 10.30 pm tonight
- DMK moves Madras High Court against the AIADMK government’s refusal to let DMK bury Karunanidhi at Marina beach
- Karunanidhi’s body is being taken to his Gopalapuram residence. His body is wrapped in the DMK’s black and red flag.